Best way to get calcium to my short neck turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus_the_beardie

Reaction score
I need my turtles to get alot of calcium in their diet (like most people do).
Right know I have calcium block (which is allways in their) and I have small lean beef balls rolled in calcium and frozen but the turtles arnt to keen and never eat them.
Any ways of how to get calcium in their diet would be great!

Small fish like guppies, gambusia and other small feeder fish are great for getting calcium into your turtles. Also some of the different types of pellets have a fair amount of calcium and vit D. Although it can be hard to get some turtles eating the pellets.

pond snails are a good source too. the turts crunch them up happily. i used to feed mine on liver dipped in calcium powder sometimes as a suppliment

re Best

Zeus what the other replys say about live food items is the go,there is calcium and minerals in garden worms,water snails and gambusia,all these items are relatively easy to get.

Re: RE: Best way to get calcium to my short neck turtles

Zeus_the_beardie said:
GUPPIES HAVE CALCIUM?

If it has bones, it has calcium. Or a shell.

RE: Re: RE: Best way to get calcium to my short neck turtles

i feed my turtle mainly on the turtle food frozen blocks, and other thins they eat are the plants in the tank, the snails, and if you buy slow fish like comets they tear them up and if you put roaches on the top of the water they rip them to, and these turtles are the size of a 20cent pice and 50 cent peice and they eat anything
mine are yellow faced turtles (emydura tanybaraga)

A good all round diet should give them what they need. Like the tanybaras.
I'd give the beef strips the boot.

I second the water snail. All my turtles love them, rams horns are the best. Also try making turtle pudding.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Best way to get calcium to my short neck tur

Zeus_the_beardie said:
ram horns??

Ramshorn.jpg

Rams horns snails :)

Emydura tanybaraga are yellow faced short neck turtles, Class 2 on the NSW license system.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Best way to get calcium to my short neck

Most petshops will sell them for ~$2 each, get a couple and get them breeding, you will haev billions in no time!

i have never heard of them, even if i get them were do i keep them and how do i breed them??

Our turtles loved to eat grated cuttlebone as littlies, now they just eat it as is. Great source of calcium. Live fish are great too. Buy some cheap live bearers and let them breed then put the fry into separate tank or straight into turtle tank.

Zeus, you often find them among aquarium plants, they breed fast after a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back