BHP became more contrasted within 12 months.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get in touch with Dave from Pilbara Pythons and get a nice pilbara male for her. She should be ready at 4 at the latest...maybe she could go at 3. She looks plenty big enough for this next season.

Cheers,
D

lol she is around 7 years old at the moment. and 7' 9". So would a male have to be similar length, or would she bend to accommodate a smaller male?

Any mature male will do. Just be sure to get another Pilbara animal to breed her to.

Check Dave's site....lots of good males for her...

D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll look into it. Still have some time to look around... I know to get goodlooking babies I need a good looking male too. Don't want to use a low quality guy for her. Lol.
My only thoughts are is she a pilbara? Or from another part of WA? I mean Arn't Pilbara's only 5 to 6 foot? Where as she is almost 8 foot. I know there is a locality thing with varying head scales but I'm not familar with BHP scale names.
Have added her headshots to see if anyone can tell how many loreals, suboculars and how many pairs of parietals she has?
She is in sloughing mode.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356832318056.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356832318056.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 86
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356832332239.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356832332239.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 88
Levold
Some parts of the Pilbara, they do indeed get to 8 feet at times but thats way inland. North of Sandfire they get quite large as well.
Around the coastal areas of the Pilbara however, they are small.

What Dave said but also, captive animals have much more access to fatty food than their wild counterparts.....this gives them an advantage on size.

D

She finally shed again. Looks like she is still improving every shedding.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357542894721.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357542894721.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 106
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357542919006.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357542919006.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 81
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357542946183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357542946183.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 83
She is a ripper for sure, be careful of her diet though, don't kill her with kindness, oh and put me on the list for hatchies as well. heres one i hatched two yrs ago. WA locality.
I am not 100% with the scale differences, and don't want to start a blew over it , but I am yet to be convinced that Pilbarra animals have different scale counts. I am willing to listen to anyone with firm knowledge on this though.

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 61
Ill have one of those hatches... Looks quite nice do you have younger pics ?

These are the earliest pics i have of her. From last year.
im almost done building a new enclosure for her future husband once i find him. And Will be working on building an incubator ASAP.

Attachments

• IMAG1521.jpg
    IMAG1521.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG1549.jpg
    IMAG1549.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
She is a ripper for sure, be careful of her diet though, don't kill her with kindness, oh and put me on the list for hatchies as well. heres one i hatched two yrs ago. WA locality.
I am not 100% with the scale differences, and don't want to start a blew over it , but I am yet to be convinced that Pilbarra animals have different scale counts. I am willing to listen to anyone with firm knowledge on this though.

It's not just the Pilbara (although, all the animals in coastal populations have a single loreal's) but, most all western animals have single Loreal's, no sub oculars (as opposed to the eastern animal outlined in red that has sub oculars and more than one loreal)

westscaleBHP.jpg

eastscale1BHP.jpg

Most Western animals also have one pair of divided (in yellow) parietals....top of the head
NT-BHPhead.jpg

Where most NT and QLD have joined parietals and sometimes up to 4 pairs. (this one has 3 pair forgot to outline the other 2 pair)
eastBHPhead.jpg

I've never seen or documented a western animal with sub oculars. I have seen very few with 2 loreal scales...but, not coastal Pilbara animals.

Levold, be careful with feeding your girl. She's looks rather plump and overfeeding large food items will shorten her life span by 10 years.
In fact, most of the color changing animals I've seen all over the world I believe is caused by diet and overfeeding of the fats that farmed rats have. I know guys that have changed their diet and their snakes changed back to normal....if it wasn't too late that is.

I'd bump her down to small/weened rats more often and offer other food types as well. Fish, Birds, other reptiles (when available)....just for her health.

Cheers,
D

I'll look into it. Still have some time to look around... I know to get goodlooking babies I need a good looking male too. Don't want to use a low quality guy for her. Lol.
My only thoughts are is she a pilbara? Or from another part of WA? I mean Arn't Pilbara's only 5 to 6 foot? Where as she is almost 8 foot. I know there is a locality thing with varying head scales but I'm not familar with BHP scale names.
Have added her headshots to see if anyone can tell how many loreals, suboculars and how many pairs of parietals she has?
She is in sloughing mode.

She has... 2 loreals, no suboculars and, looks like only one pair of divided parietals. Some of those scale behind can be oretty large and in your girls case....seems to be a jumbled mess. That's common though, still going with one pair of divided Parietals.
If I had to put an educated guess on her "locale" (and, I use that term lightly) and, judging by her color before she changed, I'd say north of Sandfire, maybe as far up as Broome.

Take that info with a grain of salt please. Haha.

D

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful BHP if I didn't already say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back