BHP Calico offspring - 2010

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Den from Den Pythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The majority of this season's 'calicos' are out, here is a pic of most of them pre-shed.

Calico offspring - 2010.JPG

This season I paired a calico female to a direct brother of our White Girl (who is in essence, a higher end calico). I would very much like to keep in contact with everyone who has these animals ordered, very interested in the future change ratios...!

I'll update with more pics after the last few have hatched, and after sheds have been had. I've also emailed the majority of people who had these hatchlings on back order. 30% of people didn't leave contact emails so If I haven't been in contact please flick me an email.

Below is a pic of the Mother. I'll dig up a more recent egg laying pic.
Gravid cal.jpg

Mate, good stuff.
Certianly a line of animals to be proud of. A photo of the male (brother to white girl) would be good.
Cheers Ian.

Ps. we are starting to get webed feet here & fungus growing out of our ears.

That white girl Den is a absolutely Stunner,i hope her offspring turn out just like her.From your experience Den,around what age did the female turn that colour.Top quality animals Den,gotta be pleased with yourself..

Some nice looking animals in there Den. The bottom two in the left hand tub stand out for me.

Cheers,
Dave

Will you be doing the same pairing next year? My husband's very very interested lol, he's right into his BHPs as you'd well understand ;)

Thanks guys, here is a pic of the father.

Gold male 3rd.jpg

Calicos usually change anywhere from 2yrs of age onwards. I've had them change from 2.5yrs through to 5yrs of age. Males seem to take longer to change, although the sample size is small so that's not a definitive fact.

Umm, stand out animals... Hard to say. The one's in the left tub swung more towards the Dajarra side, the others with the more erratic patterns swung more towards the 'Calico' ancestry. In this case the grandparents of the calico female being Kel bred animals tacing back to Sonnemann blood. In my opinion, the erratic patterns seems to have a higher likleyhood of changing, in the past anyways. But with th injection of the Dajarra blood, the others are just as promising. Given the bloodline of the father that is...

Percentage of clutches that will change? Hard to say, hence the wanting to keep in contact... There is a possibility that the 'calico' BHPs follow a recessive based mode of inheritance, in which case these would be guaranteed het's and the possibility of 50% calico (on the basis of the father being a poss. het). The inheritance could also be based on a multi-gene trait, enhanced by selectively pairing animals that hold similar traits. By that basis the percentages above would be very similar for this scenario.

Interesting clutch from a Genetic standpoint! And that's without even getting into the presence of the ocellate blood... A trait that I am yet to prove, but with this clutch it's getting closer!;-)

Last edited:
Will you be doing the same pairing next year? My husband's very very interested lol, he's right into his BHPs as you'd well understand ;)

I totally understand...;)! I'm not 100% sure what Pairing I'll be doing next season, I usually change my mind a few times during the year lol.

I like the one in the right hand tub, tail against the left hand side with its body going over the rest of the clutch.

Ta guys.

Troy, we'll do the visual pick thing when they are all out and have shed. We'll do the standard bet... And you already owe me from the last bet!

Hey Chilli, flick me an email mate and I'll let you know dates. [email protected]

Your BHPs are by far the best available in Aus in my opinion....... great stuff mate..... & I really hope you nail that Calico gene !!!!

Thanks Joey! Between the Sonnemanns, and the few of us others working on it it shouldn't take too much longer...lol

Nice work Den. Gotta be proud of mum, she is a stunner.

They look great Den and some interesting genetics in there too.
There is no better looking snake then a baby BHP is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back