BHP Throat Clearing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

womas4me

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
On of our girls, EMMA, has been taking really deep breath's and then it is like she is clearing her throat. The resulting noise is REALLY loud and reminds me of when they feel threatened and make a similar noise. She has been doing this in her hide and outside it. Prior to expelling the air she will raise her head up at about 60 degrees. After doing this she settles back into position and continues doing whatever she was doing. Anyone seen or experienced this before. She has no signs of mucus at the corners of her mouth, she looks normal but has recently shed. Any ideas?

Cant do with this computer. Can you give the name of the thread and will look it up. Have been through the wheezing ones but dont find them applicable to this case.

This sounds just like what happens to my blackheads. As i'm sure you've seen, blackheads like to dig their heads under the substrate. Well, cat litter substrates tend to get dusty quickly and this dust is inhaled by the snakes as they dig. The end result of this is nostrils clogged with dust. Once this happens my blackheads start making coughing sounds and attempting to sneeze forcefully to clear their nostrils(as well the exact symptoms you discribe). This is when i realise that the substrate is long overdue for a change. Wait until your snakes shed and the problem should disappear. Check the nasal plugs on the shedskin and you may find dust in them. As long as you regularly change the substrate this problem shouldnt arise again.

Now that you have mentioned it, a sneeze would be the best way to describe it. She does tunnel alot ( well they all do ).Thanks, substrate change on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back