Big Cats,thylacines And Yowies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to believe there are thylacines wandering around out in the desolate parts of the Tassie wilderness! How extraordinarily exciting would it be to see something that has survived the horrors of human habitation! My fingers have always been crossed for this one!

I agree, it would be fantastic to think there are still some about. After a trip to Tassie a few years ago, and seeing how much uninhabitable (an uninhabited) bush there is, I don't believe its impossible that there may be small colonys somewhere - but maybe its wishful thinking. Although you would think with all the searching etc that at least one would be sighted since they were presumed extinct since 1936 or something. Its a real shame foxes seem to now be in Tassie, very bad news indeed.

haha umm i wassnt talking about them thriving in Tassie
i was talking about them thriving in the blue mountains :D

Yeah it could be conspiracy cover up :rolleyes:.... or it could've been a big feral cat. ;)
yes but cats dont get that big. and plus our wildlife agencies are known to have done some pretty shonky things in the past so really nothing would surprise me

Gecko: same thing. There are still no big prey items in the Blue Mountains

alex: cats can get huge. Especially if they're out in the wild. They adapt very quickly (hence why feral cats are everywhere). Size can easily be adapted to allow them to feed on bigger prey items than they normally could. As for the shonky things they've done.. For all we know it's all rumour. We wouldn't know for sure.

Gecko: same thing. There are still no big prey items in the Blue Mountains

alex: cats can get huge. Especially if they're out in the wild. They adapt very quickly (hence why feral cats are everywhere). Size can easily be adapted to allow them to feed on bigger prey items than they normally could. As for the shonky things they've done.. For all we know it's all rumour. We wouldn't know for sure.
yes but honestly whos to say it isnt like the cane toads? and something the government doesnt want people to know about. the truth is there has been a lot of big cats brought into this country with circuses,wildlife parks etc and the us military in ww2 so it is very possible that they are out there

PhilK: plenty of big Greys around up there, not to mention the odd bushwalker ;)
also a panther wouldnt really need the amount of meat that is on wildebeast and Zebra
a wilderbeast would feed a small pride of lions for a few days, hence the reason they work as a team to bring one down, you dont see every individual lion take a wilderbeast or zebra for its own
think about it, solitary cats dont take down big game, mostly animals like Gazel, Goat, Deer or Antelope and a Grey kangaroo would closley match the meat found on a Gazel so yes a Panther would do quite well in the mountains

i thought it was that little chocolate thingy you buy at the supermarket.... you know with the toy inside :oops:

Hahahahahaha, i remember we freaked alot of yr7 kids out about drop bears at the yr7/yr11 camp!!!!!
It was ages ago, but still makes me laugh, they freaked when we attacked their tent in the middle of the night :D

Hahahahahaha, i remember we freaked alot of yr7 kids out about drop bears at the yr7/yr11 camp!!!!!
It was ages ago, but still makes me laugh, they freaked when we attacked their tent in the middle of the night :D

Lol poor guys.. They are scarred for life now.

Finding live thylacines would be great but it is highly unlikely, I'm fairly certain that their habitat was the more open areas of tassy not the deep dark forest where there would be little food available.
As for big cats, in my travels I've seen plenty of ferals and they do tend to be larger than their domestic cousins, but there is no way that I would mistake one for a panther. Mind you, when I go bush, I don't take two or three slabs with me.

cheers for your comments guys. it would be amazing if a small conolny of thylacines were found and we could have a second chance at conservation. i guess it is just a big reminder to learn from our mistakes and that extiction is forever .

PhilK

It is completely possible that there are thylacine like animals roaming the aussie bush. Have you looked out the window and seen how big our country is? Anything is possible with the ammount of country we have, i doubt they would be thylacines due to the ammount of isolation time between what was on tassie and the mainland but it could be something similar. There is even some intriguing video evidence of such an animal.

As for big cats... I am pretty confident that there are some in the South East of the country. The ammount of sightings reported and the fact the the NSW govt set up a task force to deal with them says to me that it is quite likely that there is something out there. The argument that there isn't large enough prey items out there for them is bollocks. Big cats like pumas (which are actually classed as a small cat) quite happily live on mice and rats if that is all they can find.

my brother and uncle swear on their lives that they saw a puma in the blue mountains. It moved to fast to get a photo of it though. It was drinking some wate when they noticed it and once the camera was set up it looked at them and took off. I think it's possible, just like I think it's possibly for the tas tigers to be living where Herpie's dad says so. As for all the 'scientists' that have searched for them over the years, have they actually searched on the mainland for these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back