bio mare cube

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really matter what brand or food you use. Over the years I've used many different foods line bio-mare, pig pellets, sheep pellets and many types of rodent pellets with very similar breeding results.

When looking at a new food to try I look for 2 main things, protein % and salt content.
A couple of months ago I set up a colony of weaners and have been feeding them on 100% spiral pasta......32% protein, 21% carbohydrate and 2% salt.
So far they are doing well and with a couple having big bellies I'll soon have some early results.

I have thought the same thing, does it really matter? TBH, how much variation is there? Has anyone actually done any controlled studies on the results of different food types? Does a better food actually allow for the rats/mice to produce a bigger litter? If so, how? If anybody has results I would love to read them out of curiosity.

I have bred rats and mice for years and have tried quite a few different types of feeds such as YS, vella's, Gordons etc. I have found only slight variations, but this does need to be weighed up with the relative costs. Ie, Gordons is good, but very expensive, in fact it is more than double the price I pay for my current feed and I would say it is nowhere near double in quality. I also rarely give them anything else to eat, they generally just get pellets. So if you only have success with biomare by supplementing an extra food source then that is added storage and work for more than one food type. I like a food that works purely on its own merit and anything else I give the animals is a bonus.

Will be interested in seeing your results from feeding pasta. How long have the rodents been on it for so far?

What are you currently feeding yours on Hugsta? I'm about to get some up and running and still undecided on what will be going in their mouths...

easyreponse is another horse food that rats like and will bulk up fast on. Its cheaper than biomare and the rats eat it like, um, horses.

Bio mare, for 4 years with 1/5 high protein dog food like "True Blue". I use a small bowl of Easyresponse once 2 twice a week when I don't have any fresh Veg.
Producing 130 pinkies every month from 16 females and every female gets a 2week rest period when the bubs are removed.

Bit off topic, but as a supplement for protein and as a treat/enrichment food, try mealworm larvae or mealworms themselves. Most basic insect to breed and mice/rats love them.

I must also agree bio mare is great I mix mine with roo cubes 50/50 they love the roo cubes but do waste a little bit where as the bio mare gets eaten with no waste. I shall also try the easy response.

Will be interested in seeing your results from feeding pasta. How long have the rodents been on it for so far?

I set this colony up when they were 22 days old. They are now going on 3 months old and a couple of them have big bellies.

Just brought my first ever bag of BioMare from the local produce traders for $27.40 for 25 kgs.
I filled up the hoppers and they fell on it with a will..all I could hear was chewing.
They look like they really like it. I sprinkled a scant handful on the floor of the tubs with 3 week old bubs because my hoppers are quite high, and the youngsters don't seem to have an issue being able to chew bits off them. They look kinda cute. Each bub clutching a relatively large cube in their little paws chowing down like there is no tomorrow.:):D

I can only hope all this gorging will translate into some pretty spectacular growth rates and litter sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back