bittin once

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitten

Reaction score
hi my names vic:oops:..never had snakes before.,i purchased a gtp from a member here:evil:, i bought a 1500 dollar enclosure all lights demister controls,heated coil,hot and cold ends ..had it all set ready..when my 1300 dollar 3 month old snake arrived it did look ok,,it was alive..owner said to leave it in container he bought it in with a heat coil under one end. he said to not feed for 3 days bit of water spray morning and night and not handle it......3 days later... dead... *** :shock: .called owner who didnt know what and no refund and now he will not return calls.....i now have lost interest :xand wondering will i get another.:?

Oh what a shame :( very disheartening.

I would be asking the same as Beeman..... what temp was the tub? You need to rememebr that a smaller tub inside the enclosure may heat up alot more than the enclosure itself.

the buyer set up snake with probes to monitor temp and heat coil outside at bottom of one end ..said temp should be 29-32 .. we did what he said.:) buyer didnt give receipt or any paperwork said would forward it.;):| ps.i do understand that gtp' s are not for novices like me but i read the book and we did our homework and we showed that little snake as much lov and devotion i give my own kids :|

---------- Post added 06-Jan-11 at 11:27 AM ----------

i feel like a teenager who just smashed a rolls royce......no officer i wasnt speeding

how often did u check the temps?

if the seller just came over and set it up temps need to be checked till theyre stable,..i check temps most days and every once in a while they'll be totally off for no apparent reason,...(well, probes were probably moved or something)

there was a thread very similar to this last year, i think in the end the conclusion was that it died from dehydration cos there wasnt a good temp gradient,...its hard enough getting a good gradient in big cages in summer, way harder in tubs.

did it have a water bowl?

sorry u lost ur snake, you should probably get a necropsy done to help determine whos at fault....

The seller didnt give you any paperwork with the snake? Could you pm me the members name?

Something fishy here for your 1st post or is it just me?

not just u , i too have questions . so the op joined 4th jan 2011 , but going by the first post he allready had the snake before he joined?

yes i found his ph number on snakes for sale section before i joined.

hi my names vic:oops:..never had snakes before.,i purchased a gtp from a member here:evil:, i bought a 1500 dollar enclosure all lights demister controls,heated coil,hot and cold ends ..had it all set ready..when my 1300 dollar 3 month old snake arrived it did look ok,,it was alive..owner said to leave it in container he bought it in with a heat coil under one end. he said to not feed for 3 days bit of water spray morning and night and not handle it......3 days later... dead... *** :shock: .called owner who didnt know what and no refund and now he will not return calls.....i now have lost interest :xand wondering will i get another.:?

I'm sorry that must really suck. But who gets a GTP for the first snake???

Last edited:
i didnt think you could get a gtp until after you had kept other snakes for a while?
and got a class 2 licence or something?

or is that just nsw?

i didnt think you could get a gtp until after you had kept other snakes for a while?
and got a class 2 licence or something?

or is that just nsw?

Depends what state you are in......in VIC, you can get a saltwater croc or a venomous snake as your first reptile! All they care about is you paying for the license lol

What paperwork would you get when you buy a snake? I have NEVER got papers with a snake!

you've never got a movement advice with your snakes?
that would make every single one received, illegal.

I'm sorry that must really suck. But who gets a GTP for the first snake???

Exactly just cause you can afford to doesnt mean you should, i mean when i first started with reptiles many many years ago all i had was books and i read up on all kinds of pythons, but started out with a low end species just to prove i could not only keep it alive but have it thrive in my care and as my skill level grew so did my collection.
There have been many threads on this site about novice keepers confused about why there GTP has died, there not a beginner snake i dont care how many books youve read a book doesnt beat first hand experience.
I guess the main thing to do now is try and work out if it died due to something the seller did or a mistake you may have over looked.
Obvious question but was the "heatcoil" hooked up to a probe thermostat and was the probe on the floor of the hot end?

What paperwork would you get when you buy a snake? I have NEVER got papers with a snake!

in qld a movement advice must accompany the herps, not sure what state he is in so might be different where he is

you've never got a movement advice with your snakes?
that would make every single one received, illegal.

Not in Vic buddy!

You only need an import/export permit when buying or selling interstate. Buying within Vic you need no paperwork... just fill in your record book!

So no..... no paperwork has EVER been exchanged when i have bought a snake.

Try a coastal or something similar. I had one as my first snake, we now have 10 of several species and all are thriving well. I found my coastal to be really easy to look after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back