Black Headed Pythons in WA?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skittles-1994

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just putting my feelers out, purely out of curiosity because I haven't seen alot of interest in herpetology in WA, are there many keepers of black heads? I'm far from able to keep one myself, just wondering why it's so uncommon to see them for sale?

Keepers and/or breeders please feel free to post pictures!

Also apologies to the lovely admin if this has been asked before or is posted in the wrong place! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of people keep snakes in WA. And heaps keep BHP's.... They're hasn't been heaps of people breeding them and it appears most success breeding them is with the Kimberly local.
I have two captive bred specimens from two different breeders. Wasn't hard to obtain them once I decided I wanted some.
For awhile there weren't many cat 4 holders. I recall someone struggling to sell womas a few years ago simply because most people were chasing cat 3 animals. I don't agree with womas and BHP's being on cat 4, but there's not much that can be done about that.

I must just not know enough herpers yet then :)
That makes sense, I can imagine it would a little intimidating trying to breed an animal with cannibalistic tendencies
Isn't their cat 4 status because of their smaller numbers in the wild? That was my understanding for it. But even if it is, ease of access to these animals would create more opportunity for breeding and eliminate the need to capture wild animals...
What size are your pair, if you don't mind me asking?

I must just not know enough herpers yet then :)
That makes sense, I can imagine it would a little intimidating trying to breed an animal with cannibalistic tendencies
Isn't their cat 4 status because of their smaller numbers in the wild? That was my understanding for it. But even if it is, ease of access to these animals would create more opportunity for breeding and eliminate the need to capture wild animals...
What size are your pair, if you don't mind me asking?
My pair are about 6ft long at the moment.
No there was no real reason to put them in cat 4. The lead zoologist for DEC at the time insisted that they were harder to care for and more experience was needed for them. It's a load if crap. Womas especially would make great first snakes. DEC have carpets listed as being rare in the wild and they are CAT 3. However I think they gave them that status because before keeping became legal in WA, carpets were the most common pythons being illegally held. Having them listed as rare meant they could fine these people the maximum. Now that we have them on our keepers list they aren't finding illegal keeping of them as often... Now people and poachers are targeting things not on the list like wheeleri and perthensis. To me they would better protect the wild animals by expanding the keepers list to cover most reptiles that can be suitably kept as pets.
There's no problems breeding them, and I haven't heard of any having problems introducing pairs. Womas are breeding like rabbits in WA and for some reason though the pilbara BHP's often are seen mating in captivity in WA, but they don't produce viable eggs very often. The Kimberly forms are the ones most people are having success with.
Go to and join the WAHS. You will meet plenty of WA herpers.

I have a BHP :D All I did was go on a reptile forum and posted "I WANT ONE!!!". I got a reply in a couple of hours and the rest is history.......

I have a BHP :D All I did was go on a reptile forum and posted "I WANT ONE!!!". I got a reply in a couple of hours and the rest is history.......

You also posted pictures of your bottle blonde hair, washing a ute, whilst wearing a bikini. If I did the same with my black hair and a bikini I just don't think I would get the same quick responses.

some of mine when they were younger....photo.JPG

Thanks for the link, will check it out!
Note to self, wash cars, gain pythons... Hmmmmm....
:p

Wow, your lighter one is an absolute stunner! Gorgeous clean stripes! :) very jealous :)

You also posted pictures of your bottle blonde hair, washing a ute, whilst wearing a bikini. If I did the same with my black hair and a bikini I just don't think I would get the same quick responses.
HAHHA now you KNOW this is a filthy lie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back