Black Melamine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie, I'm guessing when you went on the Bunnings website you used your current location? For comparison perhaps change store to that of OP and you may be surprised at a) availability and b) price difference. I recently had a disagreement with Bunnings management regarding a similar matter.

thanks

I'm still a bit confused... I had a look on the Bunnings website and their "Colourboard" listings, and I see black is available only in the smaller sizes people use for shelving etc. Does anyone know if it is available in 2400x1200 HMR sheets? HMR (matrix has a greenish tinge) is the only material that will give a reasonable service life in a reptile enclosure. I wouldn't touch the non moisture-resistant shelving material because it's almost impossible to fully moisture-proof an enclosure, and the standard chipboard just swells & turns to sawdust when it gets wet.

As I said, I was quoted nearly 4x the price of white for black HMR chipboard at Bunnings here in Port Macquarie.

Jamie

Yea when i was on the phone to him, even he seemed suprised with the price. he double checked it and then checked with the manager. the bigger sheet i can order is 18oox595. but after hearing about the form ply im going to check that out. especially if its stronger and more water resistant.

The packing tape idea is a great idea. Im assuming your talking about proper plastic packing tape and not masking tape?

thanks again.

apparently in QLD they use a different supplier to get the white melamine from the black which makes it more expensive but in NSW and ACT they use the same supplier and it makes it a little cheaper for the white stuff. not sure about anywhere else thou

Jamie, I'm guessing when you went on the Bunnings website you used your current location? For comparison perhaps change store to that of OP and you may be surprised at a) availability and b) price difference. I recently had a disagreement with Bunnings management regarding a similar matter.

Hi Lawra, thanks for that. I just went to the Bunnings generic website, not the local store website. It's pretty obvious that the stuff being sold cheaply is not HMR, it's just material used for home handypersons to build bookshelves etc. The smaller "handyman sizes" are the same as the white material sold for the same purposes, and are not water resistant. Black melamine HMR is always sold at a premium price.

The only chipboard material I would ever use is HMR (moisture resistant), characterised by a greenish tinge in the material itself, because once a bit of water from a spill or condensation (a big poo on or under a heat source for example) gets under the melamine film in the plain stuff, it just swells and falls to pieces.

The black-coated formply sounds like a good product, would certainly be almost waterproof, but may be a bit rough-looking on the edges or the outside.

I'be been getting a bit of material from NOVER lately - a better quality product than that sold by Bunnings, and they have a range of colours. Costs a few bucks more per 2400x1200 sheet, but it's nicer to work with.

Hi Lawra, thanks for that. I just went to the Bunnings generic website, not the local store website. It's pretty obvious that the stuff being sold cheaply is not HMR, it's just material used for home handypersons to build bookshelves etc. The smaller "handyman sizes" are the same as the white material sold for the same purposes, and are not water resistant. Black melamine HMR is always sold at a premium price.

The only chipboard material I would ever use is HMR (moisture resistant), characterised by a greenish tinge in the material itself, because once a bit of water from a spill or condensation (a big poo on or under a heat source for example) gets under the melamine film in the plain stuff, it just swells and falls to pieces.

The black-coated formply sounds like a good product, would certainly be almost waterproof, but may be a bit rough-looking on the edges or the outside.

I'be been getting a bit of material from NOVER lately - a better quality product than that sold by Bunnings, and they have a range of colours. Costs a few bucks more per 2400x1200 sheet, but it's nicer to work with.

I'm with you on the HMR, can't imagine using anything else. Although I'm also slightly biased and wouldn't ever buy Bunnings melamine. Sorry, I'd better qualify: I'd never use Bunnings chipboard if it involved me having to cut it. I really hope everyone wears dust masks and safety glasses! The glue is toxic as is the dust that explodes when you cut it (as an aside, Bunnings benchtops are even worse. Try finding a cabinetmaker who will cut mitre joins for their DIY modular kitchens).

There are some great suppliers out there, Jamie. I personally favour Laminex but they're all fairly well on par these days. I used to love our Nover rep, she was a lovely lass ;)

If you find someone who has (or you may already have) a trade license, suppliers prices become a lot more competitive and you get a much better product :) Failing that, make friends with a local cabinetmaker!

Absolute rubbish... Cheap bunnings melamine is fine... Just seal up all edges with silicone ( white bathroom) and lasts forever

Absolute rubbish... Cheap bunnings melamine is fine... Just seal up all edges with silicone ( white bathroom) and lasts forever

Ahh *brain explosion*

What do you consider to be 'fine'?

Just checking but as far as I'm aware bathroom silicones contain mould and mildew resistance = unsuitable for use in enclosures.

Dear me...

Unless you were joking... Did I misinterpret your sarcasm? Oops :p

Just checking but as far as I'm aware bathroom silicones contain mould and mildew resistance = unsuitable for use in enclosures.

Why is it unsuitable for enclosures exactly?

Yeah really.What is so wrong with using it in an enclosure?

It clearly states on technical data sheets that silicones containing mould and mildew resistance are not safe for use in aquariums.

Unless I'm the only one who considers a safety factor necessary I think you'll find that others agree with me.

Aside from that - it's common sense. Why put a substance containing harsh chemicals into a closed space to leech out and potentially harm reptiles?

Edit: Water, moisture or humid air can cause hazardous vapour to form.

You can get aquarium safe silicon from Bunning's that's clear.. If that's safe to be submerged in water one would think it would be ok for an enclosure.

You can get aquarium safe silicon from Bunning's that's clear.. If that's safe to be submerged in water one would think it would be ok for an enclosure.

Yes. It states on the tube "neutral cure" and doesn't say "mould and mildew resistant".

Silicone is fantastic, I swear by it for most things. However it is important to be aware that there are many different grades and the correct SAFE one needs to be used.

It clearly states on technical data sheets that silicones containing mould and mildew resistance are not safe for use in aquariums.

Unless I'm the only one who considers a safety factor necessary I think you'll find that others agree with me.

Aside from that - it's common sense. Why put a substance containing harsh chemicals into a closed space to leech out and potentially harm reptiles?

Edit: Water, moisture or humid air can cause hazardous vapour to form.

An enclosure is totally different to an aquarium.

I don't agree with you about a so called safety factor?

Common sense or a total over reaction? It wont leach out unless permanently submerged in water.

An enclosure is totally different to an aquarium.

I don't agree with you about a so called safety factor?

Common sense or a total over reaction? It wont leach out unless permanently submerged in water.

"Water, moisture or humid air can cause hazardous vapour to form" would not be specifically written on a MSDS if it weren't true.

It's quite ok with me if we leave it at this and agree to disagree. I don't feel I am over reacting but of course that is a matter of personal opinion :)

Safety data sheets have to list every extreme instance... In this case once fully cured there r no problems .... Unless u constantly submerge for long periods there is no risk factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back