Blackhead Enclosure Sizes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeScales

Reaction score
I have finally convinced my wife to allow me to purchase my first snake. I'm purchasing two blackhead pythons, however I can't seem to find much information in regards to keeping blackheads. I've brought books, downloaded information from nearly every sight on the net and I'm still at a loss to what size would be ideal, to house two blackheads, plus be a showcase in my lounge room, the wife's orders, has to look good. I would love anyones help/guidence on this.

Ok, for starters, you shouldnt house them together, they are solitary animals who only come together for mating. Something lik a double 4x4x2 would be perfect, i have one avilable if you need one. Im in melbourne though.

Angel

How old are they. You can start off hatchlings in lunch boxes as they are quite bitey when young. Like all hatchlings, they grow quickly. You can have them to 1.5m in one year and will need larger cages then. They are totally terestrial and do not need a high cage, but would prefer the floor to be larger. A cage should be at least half the length of you snake. So a 3ft x 2ft cage should work well into adulthood. Since they don't need much height, you can have the second right on top with out taking up much room.

Thanks for your help people. I have two hatchlings that I hope will breed one day. I'm thinking I'll go with two 4x2x2. Any suggestions of where to get a good quality enclosure, I live in One Tree Hill, S.A., however I don't mind driving anywhere in Australia to pick them up and courier them home

If your getting hatchlings, dont put them straight into a large enclosure. They will get freaked out and stressed!! Just buy two clear storage containers from the $2 shop and drill a few air holes in them. Then put a heat mat under half or 3/4 of the each of the containers. Simple.

Regards Alex

Aside from the enclosure advice, if you are looking for a pair of hatchies soon PM me as I can put you in touch with a guy who will have some coming up soon and who is also a pleasure to deal with.
As for enclosure size, when they get a bit of size about them, (the BHP's that is), and are ready for moving into an actual enclosure rather than a tub a 4X2X2 will do them well until they are around the six foot mark.

If your getting hatchlings, dont put them straight into a large enclosure. They will get freaked out and stressed!!

Not true!! As long as you provide them with a few hides and an environment that will enable them to gather the heat they need, and the seclusion that they require, space is not a factor as was with my BHP's who roam, hide, and bask (looking very comfortable) since hatchies. They seem to cope in the wild with the wide open?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back