Blood in urates?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrasse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am currently minding a huge adult female olive python.

On Monday she was bagged and transported to my house, where she was placed into her own cage by her owner. During the transportation she passed urates and she and the bag were covered in it, it was normal however and she was rinsed before being placed in her cage. She is housed with a male who is slightly smaller. Neither have been handled since being placed in the cage on Monday.

She is rather fat and I don't know if the fat is normal for her or not, really quite pudgy, but not firm, it's soggy pudgy.

I noticed tonight that at some stage today a liquid has been passed, in the area she is currently resposing in. This liquid has dried and has left a 'water type' stain on the newspaper (not the usual yellow stain associated with urates/urine), there is a very small amount of dried smeared urates and a couple of puddles of what appears to be almost dried diluted blood. Ever seen the urine of a cat with kidney probs? It looks like that, but not all over, simply in two five cent piece spots.

Do snakes pass blood when they ovulate? Could she be ovulating? Would this explain the bloat?

Or is this something more sinister, like a kidney problem?

Or am I freaking out over nothing?

I am currently trying to reach the owner to let him know.

HELP !

OK, reached the owner. Update. The pudginess is a very recent occurance and one he had noticed starting to happen, however, it is not feeding related.

About December (4 months ago) the male moved in, prior to that she was kept alone.

I had this happen to a big male jungle who was also fat and died from fatty liver disease a month or so afterwards.Haven't ever heard of fatty liver disease in olives before but many experienced people i knew when telling them my jungle died from it also said they'd never heard of it in jungles but the autopsy proved otherwise!!!

Not saying that's what yours has but i noticed the same blood like spots with mine.Good luck i hope for you and the snake it's nothing to worry about.

Yes he did get a swelling which was when i took him to the vet after Rob Bredl had a look at him and said it could be a tumour and tha he was fat but he hadn't fed for 3 months and had lost a lot of condition...I'm not too sure if you can do a blood test or not for this or some other way but if it is fatty liver chances are it's too late.Is he still feeding?

She is due for a feed, but hasn't rejected any as far as I know.

Female water pythons are known to pass bloody smears when looking for a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back