Blue tongue Enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kukri-dragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey,
I'm looking at getting a blue tongue soon and when i go on youtube to look for Blue tongue enclosures they are all 9 year old Americans with a food dish, water bowl and some horrible looking substrate. So I was just wondering if you guys could show me some real Aussie set ups or give me any advice on how to set it up. Thanks in advance...

- - - Updated - - -

anyone?... :|

Hi,

I have a 1 year old Eastern Bluey in a 3 foot melamine tank, I use Reptile bark or Kritters Crumble for my enclosures substrate. I have 2 hides an exo terra hide and a long log hide. a big rock for basking, and a water and food bowl.

Hope this helps you setting up your enclosure.

Here's an old pic of my bluey Jinxy's enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Hi,

I have a 1 year old Eastern Bluey in a 3 foot melamine tank, I use Reptile bark or Kritters Crumble for my enclosures substrate. I have 2 hides an exo terra hide and a long log hide. a big rock for basking, and a water and food bowl.

Hope this helps you setting up your enclosure.

Here's an old pic of my bluey Jinxy's enclosure.

Nice setup! Does Jinxy spend much time burrowing in it?

x

Yeah she used to borrow/hide heaps when I first bought her, but she has settled in very well. She is very inquisitive now doesn't hide/borrow to much now tho.

Aww cute. Pics? :D I love blueys, thinking of getting a bluey and a shingleback somewhere down the line.

Also, come on people, there've got to be more of you out there with bluey enclosures to show off!

Hey I'm new to blueys as well, to be honest reptiles in general.
Here is a pic of where I'm up to with my build, this is two afternoons work ill probably have it stained tonight.
C0A166A3-EEA1-467C-81CB-8E243ED55894-12156-000013B3EFDAB107.jpg

heat lamp will be mounted top right and still yet to figure oh how to do the front door sliding probably.
its 3x1.6x1.6 feet

Wow great progress Snowballlz ​your enclosure is lookin' awesome already, can't wait to see it when its done.

thx guys, Its a Cedar stain & varnish all in one, so ill do a couple coats.
I have gotten a bit more done since that pic, I now have the top on and some trim peices for the front. Now I just hafto get some energy back and varnish it or it can just wait till tomorrow.
DDB2A479-4323-4652-9DEF-6CDC65AE7EF1-12231-000013C6C81916D9.jpg

The hole in the top right is where the adjustable/directional heatlamp will be fitted (modified $10 bunnings special) and the small hole in the middle is where the power cable for the flue will go.
The big holes will have brass vents over them which I found also at bunnings.

sorry for possible thread highjack :D

It's coming along really nicely, snow! I don't think you've hijacked the thread lol you're showing the original poster how quick/easy it can be to put together a bluey enclosure. Plus you're helping keep this thread from going inactive. Definitely be sure and show us more when it's all done and set up :D

I agree with skippii it is coming alone nicely, I think now I'm going to make my own tank now lol

I've just knocked up a bunch of these tubs out of 500ltr rainwater tanks. Cut the bottom and part of the lid out and wired in some mesh. Euci mulch in the bottom with a few hides and the blueys are outside getting the good stuff from above.

8434373357_955e7e0e49.jpg

8434368779_79a789c395.jpg

Love those tubs might make one for times when I'm ducking down the shops and I can just put blue outside for a bit. How do you secure the lids on? Don't want escape or my cats to gain entry...
reptiles101 I would definatly make one, if you get the peices cut to size for you it's just a case of glue and screw.
thx Skipp, I have noticed a few threads that just sort off drop off, I'll be right into reading it and then get to the next page and it just ends haha. Just realised you say you live in Ellalong, my big sister lives out there just down from the pub.

Back on topic for the OP I'll put up some more pics tonight of it stained and fitted out (except for the door don't have any glass)

Love those tubs might make one for times when I'm ducking down the shops and I can just put blue outside for a bit. How do you secure the lids on? Don't want escape or my cats to gain entry...

Couple of half bricks on top. I'm sure you could be a little more elaborate if you wanted though. They're 500mm high with smooth walls, no bluey is going to climb out of that unless you placed something against the wall for it to climb on.

Hoe did you attach the mesh to the pastic Wally?

Couple of half bricks on top. I'm sure you could be a little more elaborate if you wanted though. They're 500mm high with smooth walls, no bluey is going to climb out of that unless you placed something against the wall for it to climb on.

With small gauge fencing wire. Twisty bits to the outside to avoid injury to reptiles.

Inside tub.

8437462268_bd1f995d8e.jpg

And outside.

8436379495_0b9afcc291.jpg

OK thanks, I'll be trying something similar very soon so will have to give it a try.

Ok so I got my second coat of stain/varnish on. The question is should I also give it a clear coat aswell? I have a rattle can of gloss polyurethane, I'm thinking as I have it may aswell use it.
283659AD-04DA-4119-A2D2-F269E890DFB7-724-0000009B050B6EE6.jpg

btw all the other pics are a little yellow because I have a Eco-friendly light in the garage, this pic is with the garage door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back