blue tongues with birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i know this sounds like a stupid question, but can you house elegant parrots with a shingleback or blue tongue?

i know elegants spend some time on the ground and blue tongues are rather large and slow so i think they mainly eat either just plants or plants and slower animal(snail,slug ect), but would they be quick enough to catch a bird?

otherwise could i house a single one(id prefer a shingleback) in a 2ft enclosure?

i housed some shinglebacks in with my fathers finches as he wanted some lizards after a couple of weeks he brang them back he was catching the birds and eating them very surprising he ate around $500 bucks worth in 2 weeks did not believe him until i seen it with my own eyes cant see them hurting a large parrot but who knows
cheers mick

just read post again thought it was regent parrot i would not keep them with neophemas just to be safe only on my own experiance some peoplemay do it andhave no trouble hopefully you get some other replies.

Last edited:
ok, thanks

hmmm, i dont really have alot of room around for a large indoor enclosure.
ohwell guess i'll haveto figure something else out

would it be too risky to house them with water dragons?

I wouldn't house any reptile with birds.Poor reptiles would end up being continually covered in bird crap.

the aviary my father took the shinglback for was a walk thrue aviary arond 60feet long and 40 feet wide by 7 foot high it is massive the sleepy just sat under some loose nesting material and when the birds got close
that was it so agree birds and reptiles better of seperated

so would a 2ft be to small? im guessing it would be pushing the limits though

hey,so now that i know u know about princesses, could i house them with them or should i still try to figure something else out?

Last edited:
I used to have Blue tongues in with my finches, then I started finding wings on the ground, I lost three finches and took the blue tongues out, you wouldn't think they could catch them but they did.

princess parrots are beut birds but like spending a fair bit of time on the ground so i would not recomend having any in there cage as when there spooked they will fly straight up and most proberly kill them self i would not even bother putting lizards in with any birds i cant see it working out to well

ok, thanks

could you house them outside in a hutch style enclosure?
just thinking of some alternatives

ps. i would go right for the ones i want (eastern water ,boyde's forest dragon, woma python) but i need to keep one of these first :/

Last edited:
I kept my blueys in the bottom of my aviaries for about 10 years. I have kept a range of birds from finches, quail, neophemas, princess, Plum heads, small doves etc etc.
I have lost very few birds. The only time they seemed to get eaten was when young birds fledged and just sat in the corner of the aviary or hid under logs etc. I only ever lost finches and quail eggs.

Good on them! Gold way to roll (not so natural selection) (survival of the fittest) (weeding out the weak). Great way to control the population and give the odd Bluey a treat.

Wish I had the space!!!

Marc D

Attachments

• Ben Brown Orig.jpg
    Ben Brown Orig.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 46
i housed some shinglebacks in with my fathers finches as he wanted some lizards after a couple of weeks he brang them back he was catching the birds and eating them very surprising he ate around $500 bucks worth in 2 weeks did not believe him until i seen it with my own eyes cant see them hurting a large parrot but who knows
cheers mick

just read post again thought it was regent parrot i would not keep them with neophemas just to be safe only on my own experiance some peoplemay do it andhave no trouble hopefully you get some other replies.

No WAY, that's insane!! O_O

Birds crap in the the lizards water, they crap on the lizards. Its not an ideal way to keep an animal just because you think it would be neato and look peachy keen.

The birds don't poo in the lizards water. Common sense is needed so you put the water bowl in the open, not under perches etc where the birds will perch or roost and poo. My lizards were never covered in poo.

Blueys can definitely be kept in a hutch style enclosure, care must be taken with nose rubbing on the wire though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back