Blue tongues?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Are blue tongues hard to keep/breed?

no
i have a blue tongue that has been hit by a car and it is easy to keep.
they are easy for kids to take car of as i am a kid

They are very easy to keep and breed they'll eat just about anything and are a good lizard to tame as well.

i have a blue tongue that has been hit by a car and it is easy to keep.
How is it going?

I think what Jen is asking is requirements, tank sizes, heating requirements, lighting, etc
I don't have the knowledge to tell her this, so can someone more informed than me tell her (and me for that matter)

all i have is a 3 foot tank with a heat matt (with no thermostat) on one side with a hide and a large peice of wood in the midle of the tank and a water bowl on the cold side its good to keep every thing to a minimum and the water bowl must be heavy or sturdy because the bluies are abit clumsy and knock things over and the substrait i use is kitty litter because it keeps the smell away but eney thing elc is good.

i hope this helps im also only a kid and they are great starter reptiles
javier

Well a 4ftx2ft enclosure with substrate of leaf litter or breeders choice is ok for 2 adults depending on the species heating should be about 28-30c at the basking site (guestimate as I've never actually checked the temps) I provide UV light especially for younger growing animals. Small water bowl and a few hides and they'll be happy.

jordo, what kind of UV light? mercury vapour or a fluro tube?
Sorry for the late reply. I've never used mercury vapour lights so maybe ask someone who has or who sells them, but fluoro tubes work for me, some people even say dragons are the only lizards that need UV but I still supply it just to be safe.

yeh blue tongues are easy to keep they are
really good for beginners. i ve got 4 and they
have never bitten and they are the most freindlyiest reptile i ever kept

Mine are kept in a colourbond enclosure, the lid being only half of the top- the lid is made with chicken wire and the back is perspez. There is a perspex front. The enclosure is 6ft in length and width and 4ft high. I don't have to worry about lighting and the cage seems to stay dry most of the time. If it runs i just cover half the chicken wire half of the enclousre with a tarp. We have too many cats in the area to have an open pit. Can take pics if you like when my folks get back from hols with the digital camera.

Simone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back