Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always find it funny that someone gets these animals, play's with them, then give the whole thing up after their first bite... what do these people expect??? If you plan on owning these large capable elapids, you have to plan on getting bitten one day...

I agree but I would say "plan on the possibility" of being bitten. I went nearly 40 years without a bite but I've been working on that score this year, so it is just as well midnight sees a new one start.
Happy and a safe new year to all

Greetings Steve (Baxtor)...Strange as it may seem, after both bites, the respective owners decided that the didnt want the snakes anymore and gave them over to me! Steve - this doesnt say much for the quality of the food item you were about to feed! (giggle, giggle!). All the best mate, hope you make a full recovery! Dale G.

Dale, No chance of me giving up the biter for something the bitee has stuffed up hey. and he didn't have any problem with your rodents in fact he scored big time. I was feeding him first before a couple of assists but after the bite I didn't bother with assists and he got their lunch as well.
steve

I have been in contact with and I am sending daily updates to a Doc at the avru. He was informed of the circumstances and timeline surrounding the bite and gave me advise accordingly.

Thats good, I was worried for you when I saw the pics, and Im not sure if I misread, but I had the impression that you had not sought ANY medical advice.

I think its great that you are sharing your bite on a site like this. It is both a bit of a wake up call for ven keepers, and a reality check for those contemplating keeping vens.

All the best, and hope your new year is less painful!

-Chris

Dale,

I am just talking from my personal exp, The Mulga nips i Have had were not as bad as that bloody guttatus I reckon you know that particular snake lol.

Incidentely I am after more guttatus

Cheers,
Scott

Follow-up pics at 9 days may not look much different but seems to be healing pretty well. Just starting to dry out and itch, but the finger tip is still feeling a little "dead" to the touch.

Attachments

• 9days1 (Large).jpg
    9days1 (Large).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 9days2 (Large).jpg
    9days2 (Large).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 9days3 (Large).jpg
    9days3 (Large).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 9days4 (Large).jpg
    9days4 (Large).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 97
Follow-up pics at 9 days may not look much different but seems to be healing pretty well. Just starting to dry out and itch, but the finger tip is still feeling a little "dead" to the touch.

That looks heaps better than the frist pic!

It does look good hopefully the finger returns to normal. any idea how long that will take

Dale,

I am just talking from my personal exp, The Mulga nips i Have had were not as bad as that bloody guttatus I reckon you know that particular snake lol.

Incidentely I am after more guttatus

Cheers,
Scott
Not looking that hard, I sent you a pm a couple of days ago.

Just wondering if we could get an update on how the finger is progressing.. That tip looks pretty nasty in the last pics.

Really hope the improvement is continuing.

-Chris.

Just wondering if we could get an update on how the finger is progressing.. That tip looks pretty nasty in the last pics.

Really hope the improvement is continuing.

-Chris.

Looks real good now chris.
There is still an area on the side of the tip that lacks feeling to touch (the actual bite site) while the tip itself is extra sensitive, it's like no nerve endings in one spot and extras in the other spot but I am happy with the progress.:):):)
I have to say I thought long and hard before originally starting this thread because of the personal embarrassment at having been bitten in the way I was and because of the torrent of "abuse" and gratuitious advice that I expected to flow as a result.
How wrong I was, all the advice offered has been well founded and all the "get wells" have been very much appreciated, thank you all. :):):):)

Attachments

• digit 001 (Large).jpg
    digit 001 (Large).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 69
  • digit 002 (Large).jpg
    digit 002 (Large).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 81
  • digit 003 (Large).jpg
    digit 003 (Large).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 57
well looking good now ..and to think years ago they wouldve just chopped ya finger off !............you couldve lost ya "FLIP THE BIRD" :)

Looks real good now chris.
There is still an area on the side of the tip that lacks feeling to touch (the actual bite site) while the tip itself is extra sensitive, it's like no nerve endings in one spot and extras in the other spot but I am happy with the progress.:):):)
I have to say I thought long and hard before originally starting this thread because of the personal embarrassment at having been bitten in the way I was and because of the torrent of "abuse" and gratuitious advice that I expected to flow as a result.
How wrong I was, all the advice offered has been well founded and all the "get wells" have been very much appreciated, thank you all. :):):):)

Hi Baxtor,
Thanks for the update! Im so glad, your finger is looking SO much better!
Having suffered necrosis myself, I was really concerned for you, to be honest, I was expecting you to have at least some tissue loss. Im glad that you have made such a good recovery.. although you still have a ways to go, at leatst it looks as if your finger is out of danger.

The nerves will settle down, it just takes a long time.. I am still numb over the scarred graft area, but the hyper sensitivity around it is gone now. What you describe is pretty normal when you have had nerve and tissue damage.

Out of curiosity, do you get a cold/burning sensation all at the same time around the affected area? Its almost like you cant tell if its freezing or burning, its like both at once..
I found as the area healed more, I would get that sensation.. Its not really painful, more weird than anything!

Hope you keep us posted on your recovery, looks like you still have some swelling, which I assume would hinder the use of the finger??

-Chris

Probably a stupid question that is easy to answer from all elapid owners and as I am still learning all about these guys....what is the difference between blue bellies and red bellies? The way I see it is that both are from the same family of black snake only a different coloured underside, so why is the venom so much more toxic in the blues? Is it just the yield produced or is something more complex?

Thanks guys and great to hear your okay baxtor

One of the main, obvious differences (apart from colouration) is that Red Bellies are live bearing, and Blue Bellies lay eggs. This a contentious issue among some taxonomists, who cite this admittedly large difference as a major reason to split the rest of the black snakes from Pseudechis and make it a monotypic genus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back