Blueys not eating! Freaking out!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, I bought two baby blue tongues on tuesday last week, when i bought them they were around a week old. They have not eaten since i got them, they were eating dog food at the breeders house and i picked the fattest looking ones, I have tried to feed them dog food and small crickets, vegies, the lot, they are just not interested in anything. They are both quite alot thinner and are still pooing, alot, but they are not eating at all. at the moment they are in a 2ft tank with a uv light ontop of them.

Does any one know what might be causing this? If so, is there anything i can do to help them eat? the same 4 crickets have been in their cage since day two.

Is this normal or am I just freaking out?

Cheers.

Rocky,
Baby Blueys don't eat crickets...
Get them some baby food....meat and vegies...NO FISH.
The food has to be sloppy. Raw egg beaten up.
Single packets of Whiskas for kittens...anything sloppy with gravy...RMEMBER NO FISH VARIETIES.
Put it into a dish...just put their nose in it until they take a lick.
You should have no problems.

Just a UV light isnt good enough as it doesn't create a basking spot. Blueys like to raise their body temps under a heat globe. When a bluey is happy with the heating provided you wont be able to stop it from eating!

so a raw egg whisked up?

Yes Rocky..just til you can get to the shop and get some of the other food that I have told you about.
Temp shouldn't be a problem tonight as it is still warm.

So, could it be that they are not getting any heat? I have offered them dog food, many time, but they dont even look at it

When my adult blueys give birth to young the babies will eat dog food on their first day. Hill Science Diet a/d formula dog/cat food from vets is a good quality meal.

So, could it be that they are not getting any heat? I have offered them dog food, many time, but they dont even look at it

Some heat wouldn't hurt...did you push their faces in it so they would have a lick???

If they haven't got any heat that would certainly explain it. Get that sorted ASAP.

Fay, i'm interested to know why you don't believe baby blueys will eat crickets? I've only offered one type of insect to my blueys (woodies) and they go nuts over them. I'm sure it would be no different with crickets. I'm feeding mine primarily on Rep-Cal Juvenile Bearded Dragon Pellets though, with woodies used as an occasional treat.

JawsOfDeathResized.jpg

When my adult blueys give birth to young the babies will eat dog food on their first day. Hill Science Diet a/d formula dog/cat food from vets is a good quality meal.

Tht is a prescription diet...

I would not recomend that at all... Just go for a good quailty meat roll or fresh meat - Scotty's is a great product and relitively cheap... But for 2 baby blues - I wud probably go off...

Feed them some mince - jst see if they will take it... Also try snails (Not from ur garden cause they can be poisoned).... You could also try mealworms - high in protien nd fat... Some blueys love crickets, so they arent a 'no no' food...

Man that albino is a cuty, how long did it take to find a breeder with one? Fay, i did pust their faces in it, all they did was turn their heads, although, i only have coles brand dog food.

or mince raw or cooked? also i don't think i will feed them mealies because i heard they can't digest the hard shell well, or is that just beardies?

Raw Mince - best quailty available... So - Human Grade (Type thing)... The less fat the better aswell - so heartsmart, but tht isnt essential cause ur jst trying to get them 2 eat something at the moment...

Mealies are fine, their casing wont really get digested, but the rest will... Jst break them in half to start off with so the blueys can smell nd test what they taste like...

Do yourself, and your blueys, a favour and get some of the pellets i mentioned from the Herp Shop. It is a completely balanced diet designed for lizards rather than for cats or dogs! :p

Nice pic Mr Bredli, Honestly if anyone can't get their new lizard, snake eating, have a close look at it's heating, as temps will be dropping shortly and there will be an onslaught of not eating threads.

As meantioned above, Skinks need to bask for a period before they eat so if you havn't got your lighting sorted out yet (do so asap) take him outside and let him soak up the morning sun for a bit - then try offering food. I'm sure it's not a common thing, but if mine is going through a period of food refusal it will still take broccoli every time...

Ok, i am excited, i found a snail, put it in the tank,then i turned away for one second then heard a sound, a bluey had the snail inits mouth and was holding it, swinging it around. Myquestion is, how do i getthe snail to be a good size for the bluey?! the snail is a giant conpaired to them, also what do i do about the shell?

can any one help with the snails? any one at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back