Boa Constrictor in Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoppa1874

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
this is the front page of our local paper today.. A Boa Constrictor and babies were found in the wide bay area..
WOW!!!

i saw that in the paper, a total of 32 people arrested, some from your town, did you know any of them?.
cheers:)

thats not good.Good to see the people who where responsible where arrested though.

all it said in the paper was that the epa had quarantined. they also found a croc head and some skins.
cheers:)

i hope they don't put it to sleep, maybe they will send it to a zoo or something. shame on the people for keeping it illegally though.

i hope they don't put it to sleep, maybe they will send it to a zoo or something. shame on the people for keeping it illegally though.

It’s sad, but the snake will no doubt have to be “destroyed” as any exotic snake and/or animal that is found that has been illegally imported, has not been placed in quarantine during its arrival here and therefore must be euthanized so as to lessen the risk of any exotic diseases and/or parasites passing on to our native animals.

Like I said very sad, but the problem is not the snake but like you said, the tool-bags who decided to smuggle the snake into Australia. I think they should be destroyed as well.

please excuse my niaeveity (if thats a word lol) i understand the risk it poses to our wildlife but if after quarantined and declared disease free why wouldn't it be able to go to a zoo or reptile park.

Where does quarinteen take place? My understanding is they are quarantined before they head over to aust. If thats the case noidea, they are already here so they can't be quarantined, in order to do so they would have to be sent back over seas then quarantined and baught back over.

Chances are being a boa it is about 5th or 6th generation Australian by now. They are bred in very large numbers and have been for many years.

I know that and you know that, but do you think it is a chance the EPA would be willing to take?

yep, they will most likely now be in snake heaven, such a shame................

sorry mpunja what i meant was it said the epa had it in quarintine but i know the risk isn't worth taking and i certainly don't want to be telling my kids in the future about an animal that is now extinct because of peoples stupidity in keeping and also releasing exotic animals into our wonderful country.

originally quoted by noidea
i certainly don't want to be telling my kids in the future about an animal that is now extinct because of peoples stupidity in keeping and also releasing exotic animals into our wonderful country.

is this comment refering to the boa itself or the destruction it does to aussieland

to any exotic animal that is illegally bought into our country with out quarantine even if it isn't released the potential diseases it could bring to our wonderful native animals. sorry if it didn't make sense i just feel sorry for the snake coz its not its fault but that of the people that bought it here.

I was told by someone that there was an amnesty in victoria a few years ago and people we aloud to come forward with their illegal herps and some were issued licences to keep them with restrictions on breeding,sales ect.
Does anyone know anything about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back