Bredli Hatchling won't come out of hide and Coastal Yearling slow to shed?!?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

los.lucas

Reaction score
Hey guys, My 8 month old male Bredli has pretty much stayed in it's warm hide since the start of it's shed cycle 15 days ago. It came out to shed but returned to the hide as soon as finished. That was 8 days ago now.

I purchased the Bredli male and an 18 month old female Coastal (my first pythons) 6 weeks ago and both settled straight into their new homes and have been feeding well and were actively exploring their enclosures and basking every night. I was a little worried about their first sheds because of the extremely dry climate where I live (Tanami Desert, NT) and have been monitoring the humidity levels and started misting and introduced a second water bowl above the heat source at first signs of the shedding cycle. With the relative humidity levels here usually in the 10-20% (it currently 11% outside) I can maintain low 40's in the enclosure with short spikes up to 60% after misting.

The Bredli's first shed went smoothly but he has since been a total recluse. Should I remove him from the hide to feed him or just let him be? I have already done this once, 3 days after the shed. Do they usually hide out for a while after shedding? Also, I was doing my best to handle them both daily as they are both a bit snappy and I'm keen to calm them down as soon as possible. Is it ok to remove him from the hide just for the sake of handling?

The Coastal female hasn't yet shed. I keep thinking that she is showing the early signs of the shed cycle but she remains active and it hasn't happened yet. It's gotta be soon though...right??

Oh yeah, one other thing... The enclosures are 800w 600d 600h. I was concerned that this may be too big for the younger bredli but seeing he didn't have any problems settling in during the first month would indicate that he is alright with the size of the enclosure. Right or wrong?

Any feedback appreciated

No need to panic, as long as they are eating, shedding and pooping fine then there is nothing to worry about. Remember most snakes are nocturnal so will most likely come out when you are asleep! Try not to remove him from the hide (unless feeding) too often as the whole point of the hide is to make them feel safe and secure. As far as enclosure size it may be a bit large and he could be stressed, yet everything else seems pretty normal. I guess it wouldn't hurt trying a click clack style enclosure to see if he becomes more active. Also just realised you said you fed him not that long ago? if so he might be on the heat for digestion? Also how are you providing heat and what is the temperature?

Regarding the Coastal and shedding if she is showing the signs (duller than usual, opaque eyes right before shed) then yes she may be coming to a shed.

Hope this helps, Ausreptiles

Did you get a feed and shed record from whomever you got them from ?? the coastal could easily go 10 weeks without shedding, more if it was fed irregularly and on smaller food items, i have no experience with Bredli' but would imagine they would be pretty much the same as most Morelia sp, IE up to about 12-15 months they are pretty private and do not really enjoy the wide open spaces of a large enclosure, maybe you could use some styrofoam blocks to reduce the size of the enclosure for the time being, and as Ausreptiles101 has said try not to take your snake out of the safety of its hide at this size/age, if need be if it does not come out to eat try leaving the food item at the entrance to the hide for an hour or so. :) ....................................Ron

Thanks Ausreptiles. I provide heat via a heated box beneath one side of the enclosure. It a purpose built box with two 50w halogen lamps inside and ventilation holes allowing the heat to pass up into one side of each of my enclosures. It's all thermostat controlled to 32 degrees with the probe set right next to the warm hide where the snakes are spending most of their time. The cool side varies from 26.5 to 29.5 depending on the temp inside my house.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ron. Yes according to the details from the dealer my coastal last shed was on the 17th july, so 8 weeks ago. I am feeding the coastal every 10-14 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back