Bredli vs cat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jungle_smith

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My partner lives in an apartment and has a 2 yr bredli (ivy) about 2m long and a cat.

The cat has never bothered with any other snakes but is now taunting ivy and they are having goes at each other at the enclosure glass.

The snake has not tagged or bitten in the 6 months my partner has owned her. The other day we had an issue with feeding and she bit by accident.

She got stuck in the hide hole while feeding and got distressed and left the rat so we pulled her out of the tank with hide to release her and she bit.

Last night we pulled her out and she was agitated and attempted to tag us.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Is this leftover distress from the feeding or wound up from the cat.

Any ideas how to stop them getting at each other. And separation is not an idea it's a studio apartment

Thanks all

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

there are a number of cat repellants available, also instructions on how to make your own, not sure how well they work, but you could try scenting a towel with something and covering the snakes cage till the cat gets the hint and the snake settles down.

4 Ways to Make Homemade Cat Repellent - wikiHow
(theres a bunch of other stuff if you google cat repellants)

id say its more likely wound up from the cat than from the feeding accident.

Could always leave the enclosure open, you wouldn't have the problem of your cat annoying the snake anymore, and you wouldn't have to worry about feeding your Bredli for a fair while either...

^maybe lay off the cat, they are being responsible by having it as an indoor pet.

You can get shock mats to put around the tank, when the cat steps on it, it will receive a light buzz and should avoid the area. It will learn around the tank is not a nice place to be.
As for the snake biting, it may just need a day or so to calm down. Just dont be nervous when handling as it can aggrivate the issue.

lol you can get shock mats? Thats wicked

The snake had a four day no handling period but we left the hide out for a couple of days which may not have helped the situation.

Didn't know about shock mats I'll try to look into them as well as cat repellent

The snake had a four day no handling period but we left the hide out for a couple of days which may not have helped the situation.

Didn't know about shock mats I'll try to look into them as well as cat repellent

Yea the no hide may not have helped maybe time for an upgrade if hes getting stuck when eating.
Its not a shock shock more static electricity on the pads of there feet which is highly unpleasant for them, I first seen them on an episode of drs harrys used to keep cats off benches.
Good luck with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back