Breeders Choice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I have been researching breeders choice for over a year now and it seems to me to be the best substrate for reptiles available at the moment.
I have snakes but was wondering whether people with lizards agree with this?

Cheers Hawkeye

i like it and it doesnt matter if it gets eaten and ya can chuck it im ya garden when ya finished with it and i have found that young snakes bury themselves and strike out at food while hiding

i think it's great!
i use it for all my herps (not turtle of couse).
it's cheap, it is easy to clean and the lizards love to dig in it!
it also look better than newspaper!
i agree with hawkeye!
i think this is the best substrate for reptiles!

Come on Afro, ask !!!!
What's BC ??? :wink: :lol:

I think breeder?s choice is the best thing since sliced bread.
For snakes anyway.

I am glad this thread was made as I was thinking os trying breeders chose, what do people think about wood shavings (not wood chip or saw dust) like theuse in the states.

You'd have to be careful to make sure there wasn't any dust in the woodchips. Dust from wood chips/shavings can cause respiratory problems in many animals from horses to snakes.

on a show the other day the australian reptile park kept there venomous snakes on straw and they had a death addre in twigs and leaves

Can I ask if anyone has tried using tea tree mulch or sugar cane mulch? I'm using breeders choice and am happy with it but natural mulch has a certain appeal for me, tea tree mulch may also help avoid smelly enclosures possibly?

Amy said:
You'd have to be careful to make sure there wasn't any dust in the woodchips. Dust from wood chips/shavings can cause respiratory problems in many animals from horses to snakes.

not wood chip or saw dust.... in the states thats mostly what they use

Pine saw dust is actually very toxic for snakes and can kill them.

I heard from my vet that proccesed newspaper such as BC is supposed to be even worse for dust. In the long run it can cause all sorts of problems. I reckon it's terrible for lizards aswell, as the crickets run and hide in it and if the lizard mises the cricket, they get impacted from the BC. As you can see, I hate the stuff. I prefer newspaper for my snake and baby lizards and sand and euchi mulch for my older lizards.

I used to use sand with the beardies but I noticed the smell was bad (even a couple of days after it had been changed). Sand is also bad for impaction and clogging up their digestive tracts!!! I changed them onto the paper pellets at about 6 months of age. If they crap on it, I just take out the pellets, same deal if they spill water on them. There is no smell compared to the sand (even after a month or so). To clean it, I just use the vacuum cleaner and suck it out!! One of them swallowed a pellet or 2 and it came out the other end, partly digested. With the crickets and woodies which hide in the pellets, I just stir it up with my fingers every coupla days and they eat them then... 2 big thumbs up from me!!!

Does anyone else use artificial turf? Once a week I clean every thing in the cage and hose the turf out over the garden.
Unfortunatly, swapping the turf seens to encourage the snakes to crap but I just pick that up using disposable gloves. The gloves get turned inside out and then serve as a container for the crap.

I have made a note of that many times on this list Fuscus.
I find that snakes mark their enclosures much like a dog does for territory.When using substrate such as sand,BC,mulch etc you are only removing the soiled spots and so there scent remain in the cage.Where as when using paper or astro turf as soon as the substrate is cleaned and their scent removed they will soil the substrate immediately...

My Beardie is often put out in my big bird aviary to have a run around and get some sun. The bottom is straw and I havent had a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back