Breeding Crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond_python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows any good websites to help me out as I want to start breeding my own crickets as they are costing me a fortune to keep on buying. Thanks :)

Try roaches instead, they're extremely easy to breed and very low maintenance. They're also silent! All you need is a tub, some egg containers/fruit packing or similar, GR2's and carrot and you'll soon have more feed insects than you know what to do with. Crickets are nasty little things that drop dead if you wear the wrong coloured socks or hear a sad story, make lots of noise and take heaps of time.

If you are set on cricket breeding, there is heaps of info in herp journals and reptile books, everyone has their own methods and some work better than others (I briefly worked at one place with a very large scale cricket breeding room which was run on such a bad system that they barely bred enough to keep the population going, let alone get any extra to feed the animals).

Good luck :)

What about feeding small lizards that can't take roaches? p.s. how small are roaches when they hatch? p.s.s. whats GR2's?

cheers
pete

I also heard that crickets are more nutritious?? Also, I have had crickets here for a week and a half and have not heard a peep out of them. Interesting.

dp thats probley cause there all dead lol i found that crickets die so easly there is allways food in there and plenty of room not to hot or cold i clean out the tray every now and then they just dont like life lol roaches are much better survivors and they dont smell as bad in my opinion

The only benefit of breeding crickets as opposed to roaches is that crickets are far more prolific breeders. A few dozen female crickets can give you thousands of babies and also you can control their breeding to you own needs by timing when you put a laying container in with the crickets. Just do a google search on breeding crickets and you'll find heaps of pages but almost all of them are identical in their methods.
If you don't mind the noise and have lots of mouths to feed a couple of both roaches and crickets are ideal.

RE: Re: RE: Breeding Crickets

Ha ha ha guys. My crickets are all alive and don't make a sound. They are only small crickets so maybe this is the reason?? And yes you are all right, crickets do die suddenly, I have a couple of dead ones, but about 100 that are still alive. I did a google search and found you will have heaps more babies with crickets, but it does depend on how many mouths you have to feed. I only have 3 at this stage so I may give roaches a shot. Cheers all......

I believe the males make all the noise but could be wrong. Crickets will also eat each other if there isn't enough protein in their food. Does anyone know the lifespan of crickets compared to roaches? I think roaches live longer.

yes roaches do live longer. A male roaches lifespan is 365 days and a female is 344 days. Crickets are about 3 hours. lol. :)

Re: RE: Breeding Crickets

Liberated said:
What about feeding small lizards that can't take roaches? p.s. how small are roaches when they hatch? p.s.s. whats GR2's?

cheers
pete

They'll take baby roaches Lib, there tiny to start, i throw about 50 or more tiny ones in with my young barbatas they clean em up in no time. Roaches grow fast too. bout match head sized when hatched or soon after.
GR2 id rat/mouse blocks, I dont use em, just dry dog food, cereal, goldfish flakes etc and carrot or zuchini for moisture.
Less smelly if you stick to dry food, but they will strip a wasted rodent overnight if you have enuff roaches. Just leave a few bits of fur.

ive noticed that with woodies, if i forget about them (which i have done) i find them in afew weeks, still alive and kickin.

omly downside i have found is that they can climb glass which can be really funny to watch a beadie get the last one

The chirping is a audible jiggyonometer, adjusting the temp until the crickets are at their loudest will give you lots of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back