breeding loan

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melly88

Reaction score
hey just wondering if any1 has a male water python in the gold coast/brisbane area that i can borrow??? my girl is about 5years old & from a clean home. if u would like to stud ur male out just let me know :)

Aren't you concerned about the welfare of your pet? How would you know by borrowing a mate that you weren't sentencing her to illness or even death?

well i would check it out 2 start with & im hoping some of the people i know might go yeah i have a male of breeding age. i know there is a lot of doggy people out there so i wouldnt just get any water python

The only way to be sure is to have it in quarantine for around 6 months.Unfortunately there is no way to tell if all is ok just by looking at it.

yeah i know that but i also know that people borrow a mates python 2 breed with

No one lends snakes as it's to much if a risk. The problem is disease are very hard to see in snakes. Somethings don't show for 6 to 12 months. There is no way of clearing a snake without quarantining for 6-12 months.

Put up some wanted ads, attend some expos maybe... you will have to wait until next year to breed but itll be safer for your snake :)

ive had a add in the wanted sec 4 ages now & no one replies & ive been to the local expos & they havent had any water pythons there either :-(

I'm gonna get smashed for this but can anyone explain the need to quarantine in a situation like this? I do see a point and my gut just tells me this sort of thing wouldn't be a great idea. However, hypothetically if it is a friend who she knows what would the difference be between quarantining at her house or the "quarantining" that the owner has been doing for however many years they owned the snake? As an example I have a friend who has very good husbandry practices and I'd have no issue "borrowing" one of his snakes because whether it's sitting in an enclosure at my house or his makes no difference

If she was getting a friend to do it, she wouldnt be asking here...she isnt getting a friend to do it ;)

I hope u find one melly, ill message you if i see any for sale!

Have a look on herptrader.I seem to remember someone selling a 5yo male WP for a lousy $230

I'm gonna get smashed for this but can anyone explain the need to quarantine in a situation like this? I do see a point and my gut just tells me this sort of thing wouldn't be a great idea. However, hypothetically if it is a friend who she knows what would the difference be between quarantining at her house or the "quarantining" that the owner has been doing for however many years they owned the snake? As an example I have a friend who has very good husbandry practices and I'd have no issue "borrowing" one of his snakes because whether it's sitting in an enclosure at my house or his makes no difference

For what it's worth I tend to agree with you. I often wonder what housing arrangements are used by those keepers who routinely quarantine for 12 months when they are buying multiple snakes over that period. Do they house all the quarantines together in the same building or separate them into a number of buildings, if separated, by how much, if not then all the "new" arrivals will in effect not be quarantined. If I quarantined new arrivals to separate rooms for the last 12 months I'd need a couple of more houses. A bit of judgement is called for regarding the source of the new arrival and a short period of isolation along with a precautionary parasite treatment and close observation. I'll probably get smashed too but it's worked OK for me for quite a few years.
As far as buying a mate rather than borrowing, that changes nothing, either way you have a new arrival.

yeah fay ive seen there waters 4 sale. i was planning to get a hatchy or yearling of them next time im down that way but i might hit them up to see if they have something a bit more the same size as what i already have :)

For what it's worth I tend to agree with you. I often wonder what housing arrangements are used by those keepers who routinely quarantine for 12 months when they are buying multiple snakes over that period. Do they house all the quarantines together in the same building or separate them into a number of buildings, if separated, by how much, if not then all the "new" arrivals will in effect not be quarantined. If I quarantined new arrivals to separate rooms for the last 12 months I'd need a couple of more houses. A bit of judgement is called for regarding the source of the new arrival and a short period of isolation along with a precautionary parasite treatment and close observation. I'll probably get smashed too but it's worked OK for me for quite a few years.
As far as buying a mate rather than borrowing, that changes nothing, either way you have a new arrival.

excatly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back