Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpAddict

Reaction score
Hi everybody!!

Just after some advice,
I would like to breed some reptiles... Only problem is I don't know what....?
I've got a decent amount of experience with reptiles but never bred them.
What I'd like to know is;
What is the cheapest/easiest reptile to breed?
And also can I just let them incubate the eggs themselves... ?

Anything..... Snakes, lizard.....

Thanks in advance :)
Pratty

what reptiles do you have right now ? breed them.

spotted pythons and bearded dragons are the easy ones, and you need an incubator for the eggs.

I have ewd, woma, cbd, and coastal. But only 1 of each, what about feedingthe young, I've helPed with snakes before, are beardies any easier

beardies are easy but have fun trying to move the 60 odd hatchlings onto new homes as the market is flooded they arent selling very well atm. and they eat a truck load

They have 60 hatchlings!!! Wow!
What about geckos or skinks? Any cheap easy ones that can incubate their own eggs?

bluetongues skinks give birth to live young.

the ewd, woma, cbd, and coastal you have most need to be incubated in an incubator, unless your location is in their natural range then you can try maternal incubation.

why the insisting on the incubate their own eggs ? an incubator is easy to make.

Yeah I would make my own incubator, just thought there might be a really simple way.
All mine are too young to breed at the moment.

From what you have said. You have no idea of what it takes to breed animals without them losing out. Maybe enjoy what youve got for a few years n do as much research as you can

I know what it takes, I have helped with a couple of clutches of snakes before just was wondering what else was out there and easy to do. Gotta start somewhere, its not to hard to find info, but peoples views are a little more helpful. That's why I'm posting here

just be aware the market is really flooded at the moment
so whatever you breed be aware you might have difficulty finding homes for them all

Elizabeth

Please don't take this the wrong way; but given that you seem insistant on the easiest/cheapest way possible - maybe breeding isn't for you? In that I mean maybe there is something else you could do instead of breeding? I'm not sure what, but something?!

Last edited:
I'd like to have a shot at it, ive had experience with it. Just not in my own home. I'm aware that it can be challenging, but I think I can handle it, just wanted to start with the simplest one first.

Your right in the fact that you need to start somewhere, it doesnt sound like this is just a whim for you :) However the other posts have bought up some really good points. My biggest concern would be the likely hood of being able to sell/give away the babies, perhaps you could ask/research which reptiles have the least young or the most high in demand? Or as suggested leave it awhile till the market is not so filled. I myself would love to experience breeding my own Hatchlings, I know however I am way too inexperienced to even contemplate it at the moment :) Good luck with your endeavors and keep us posted on what you decide :)
Kind regards
Crystal

They all involve the same amount of work.
Just choose one you like the most and go from there...

You're still going to need to find the basics of that particular animal and how you will incubate then house them... Oh then also have 2 animals that want to do it with each other.. and Snake breeding season is basically almost over, so you would have to go with some sort of lizard? try spiders as well :p

Mate, if you have a serious interest in reptiles, go where your interest takes you, not what other people recommend you should be breeding. Sure, ask people for practical advice but - what should you breed????? Would you ask the general public what car should you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back