Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fauce

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I got a call out for a Brown Snake last week that had apparently been cut in half by a cat. I had my doubts as i think it would be pretty hard to cut a snake in half with a cat claw and asked if the lady was sure it was a snake...

Well this is the little "brown snake". It is currently regrowing its tail and recovering from the cat puncture wounds. Is having meds too.

Obviously it is totally fair for a regular non herp lover to think this was a brown snake, glad they called for help instead of helping the cat with a shovel.

Burtonis.jpg

ps. Cats are horrible things.

I did a call out for a "Brown Snake" a few years ago. The father called me up in an absolute panic in the early hours of the morning, saying it was in his hallway and striking at people. He'd cleared the whole family out of the house, and agreed to my increased fee for coming out at such a stupid time...I get there, and there's a 30cm Burtons in his hallway.

Yeah, but if you know nothing about reptiles they do look like snakes. I was trying to explain to the woman how to tell that it was not a snake and it was kinda hard... they really are small differences that are hard to see. To herp people you can just tell by their shape and look. But for a regular person to compare head shape, look for a tiny ear hole and see what kind of tongue it has is pretty unrealistic, to them it has no legs so is a snake.

I have had the old "Death Adder" call which turns out to be a blue tongue, that is a little more silly.

hmmmm we will see if it survives, not likely imo meds or not. cats = dead reptiles

has survived for a week so far. So fingers crossed, but not holding heaps of hope. Luckily it seems that dropping his tail worked as the cat continued harrassing and biting the tail instead of the main body.

Well while everyone is hating on cats, my cat is trained not to chase birds or lizards, and as Im sure he does when Im not looking, he knows not to while someone is around. I caught him once stalking a "ta-ta" lizard and when he saw me cause I yelled at him he actually banished himself to being locked in the house, I didnt even have to grab him. Hahaha! =P

Well while everyone is hating on cats, my cat is trained not to chase birds or lizards, and as Im sure he does when Im not looking, he knows not to while someone is around. I caught him once stalking a "ta-ta" lizard and when he saw me cause I yelled at him he actually banished himself to being locked in the house, I didnt even have to grab him. Hahaha! =P

He banished himself to the house did he? What a smart cat.

Why was he stalking a Gilbert's Dragon if he knew better?

please don't always blame the cat after all it was doing what nature has bred into it, blame the irresponsible owners and remember plenty of cats and dogs have been taken by really big snakes

i have had up to 6 cats at some stage here and they have a cattery off the back room so they can go outside to play without hurting anything or annoying my neighbours

mind you they have caught the occasional gecko or house lizard that has entered their area, thankfully ive managed to save most of them and release them right out the back

I've had cats and dogs in my care Jeannine. Nothing domestic hunts like a cat does. They're a blight on the landscape and it's irrelevant now, like rabbits and foxes they will not be eliminated. I just hope the Burtons pulls through.

He banished himself to the house did he? What a smart cat.

Why was he stalking a Gilbert's Dragon if he knew better?

Just because he knows not to doesnt mean he wants to obey, after all its in his nature.

I've had two rbbs die after rescue in the last 2 weeks. They both looked fine at first but it was obvious when I got them home they had suffered crush trauma. You offer advice and people cant even leave the snake alone till you get there.

Poor Burtons.

Bloody cats. * Shakes fist *

Edit Reason: felt angry, shook fist.

Bahahaha!!

On the cat note, though - isn't this an argument that's been done to death? Most of the general population doesn't know enough about reptiles to consider it a bad thing if their cat kills the occasional snake or lizard. And, that probably isn't the real problem, in that it's the feral cat population that are doing the real damage. I think it's great that this lady had the sense (or lack of it, really, in terms of it being a snake or lizard!) to ring someone and get educated. Hope that little Burton's pulls through....

The 2 cats I've owned weren't hunters that we were aware of. One was a 10kg Siamese who didn't leave the back yard, although, she did bring in 2 full grown GTS during her life (alive, into my bedroom, thanks cat), plus AHGs and skinks. Even as a big flat blob who had to be lifted onto the couch, it's still their instinct to hunt.

Last edited:
Well i think it's irrisponseable owners,i have 9 cats and our family know they aren't aloud outside and it is a burtons so irrisponseable owners is the prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back