Brown snake kills man in southeast Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
AN elderly man has died after being bitten by a brown snake in southeast Queensland.
mf.gif
border="0"
|-
| valign="'middle'" |
| valign="'middle'" |
|-

a2t.img
szZdyjXEddk

Published On: 04-Dec-12 09:15 AM
Source: via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

Another avoidable tragedy.A lot of people get bitten killing a brown snake.
Some information for the snake killers..
Cutting a snakes head of does not kill it instantly.
While the body writhes with nerves as you put it in the rubbish, the h...ead is still alive, aware and watching as you do this.
The snake is now in fear and probably in pain and will bit ANYTHING that comes near it..
This head can stay aware for up to 15 minutes.

Is it my imagination or have been too many deaths lately??

Average of 2 deaths per annum was what I thought
But a few more than that in last couple of years??

Is their a reason why apart from humans encroaching into more bush?
ie; is the wet bite ratio increasing?? etc etc

Natural selection.

At that age, natural selection has not worked... He's possibly already bred therefore the gene pool is still flush with "tough old bugger" genes...

I'm sorry - but again the newspaper have failed to explain, in depth, the importance of leaving snakes alone.

Is their a reason why apart from humans encroaching into more bush?
ie; is the wet bite ratio increasing?? etc etc

Increase in stupid people. Correct snake bite first aid is rarely used and common myths are still rife amongst the population. Like Slim said also, the media does nothing to dispel myths or educate its readers, its all about writing the rubbish that excites the uneducated masses.

- - - Updated - - -

At that age, natural selection has not worked... He's possibly already bred therefore the gene pool is still flush with "tough old bugger" genes...

I'm sorry - but again the newspaper have failed to explain, in depth, the importance of leaving snakes alone.

Yeah, pity. Some of those old blokes are still going at 80 though, never know....

Last edited:
Extremely sad news.

I thought this was the second fatality for this year, following on from two last year and two the year before. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the poor snake is the victim in this, not the man. You feel bad for the guy dieing and his family and whatnot, but what goes around comes around.

its simple don't kill snakes , if some one came at my head with a shovel i know what im going to do. (probably run lol)
what chance do they have. any one bitten by trying to kill a snake deserves the out come.

Last edited:
its down right simple don't kill snakes , if some one came at my head with a shovel i know what im going to do. (probably run lol)
what chance do they have. any one bitten by trying to kill a snake deserves the out come.

Its easy to say dont kill snakes
But we, being general public, watch all those stupid programmes that continually try to show snakes in the worst possible way
We see snakes grabbed in head holds so they go into panic mode and applaud the 'bravery' of the presenter etc etc
We do this because of the wow factor and ignorance

Yet we, as snake carers, know the truths about snakes and simply dont do enough about it

Education is of paramount importance
Some get heavily involved
Others dont
As reptile lovers its up to all of us
Nobody else could care less

I don't understand why first aid isn't mandatory in schools like CPR is. This is something that can be so easily avoided through education, first from leaving the poor thing alone and second from appropriate first aid. It is something that should be taught to kids. I was lucky enough at my school we did basic first aid in year 9 phys ed. It cover jellyfish and stonefish stings, snake and spider bites, as well as the normal stuff.

I think the increase in known snakebite fatalities might have more to do with the increased publication due to media 'trends' than anything else... still many more people have died from Bee and Ant stings then snake bites.

We need Brady Barr over here with his robotic snake catcher....showed perfectly how not to catch a Mamba...:)

It's still considered "very manly" to kill a snake. Such a dangerous belief which couldn't be further from the truth.

If that's the case get me a little black dress and leopard skin handbag for Christmas instead of that beard trimmer I asked for.

Kindest regards

This tragedy got me a job. A 78 year old was going to tackle a "brown" snake but his daughter forbade it because of this! Took a while but found the "brown" on the roof of the shed. Pics of the "brown" attached. Animal was so placid you could be forgiven for thinking it was a pet!

Attachments

• 20121203_101940.jpg
    20121203_101940.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20121203_102040.jpg
    20121203_102040.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 88
This tragedy got me a job. A 78 year old was going to tackle a "brown" snake but his daughter forbade it because of this! Took a while but found the "brown" on the roof of the shed. Pics of the "brown" attached. Animal was so placid you could be forgiven for thinking it was a pet!

Joisus! That's one evil BROWN! He'll take out every infant in town if we dont act! Madge! Bring us me shovel!

you don't seriously expect the media to properly educate the public do you?much better to sensationalize and sell more papers

- - - Updated - - -

I'm only a dumb lizard keeper but that looks like a jungle python to me(even though it's a B+W pic)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back