Brown snake kills man in southeast Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The media can be a great tool for education but you need to lay down the law with them. When they rang me a few weeks and asked for an interview,I made sure they said what was relevant. Fortunatly, this reporter did have a good attitude so here is the story .

snake

They stuck to facts, and left out all the fluff.
Even though it's just a local rag it's good because a lot of tough old buggers, mums and dads, farmers and other assorted potential snake killers will read it.
So if you get approached for a snake story, try to stay in control of what gets published or goes to air.
I had channel 10 interview me for an hour, when the story came out, I only had 3 lines of fluff and it was quite embarrassing.
Im almost to embarrassed to link the channel 10 story, lol

Last edited:
To say someone who kills (or attempts to kill) a snake deserves to die, is absolutely appalling! The same is true of the “What goes around…” version. The values underlying such statements make me want to puke.

Those mindless people who trotted out their “typical media sensationalism” argument either did not bother to read the article or have got enough activity going the ears to be able to pass a relevant comment. If you are going to comment, at least keep it within the confines of what actually happened or what was actually said.

Our death rate due to snakebite over the past 30 years is usually quoted by the authorities as 2 to 4 deaths per year nationally. Off the top of my head I think it is 3.2. Queensland has the highest death rate of any state and Eastern Browns are responsible for the majority. There has been an overall increase in fatalities over the last 10 years but it is conjecture as to why. One of the possible reasons, which would certainly be a contributing factor, is the expansion of human dwelling into semi-rural areas as urban land prices soar.

The current death rate due to bee and wasps stings is approximately 3 per years i.e. equal to that for snakes. It used to be 10 per year but the advent of epi-pens has brought it down.

The biting reflex of a decapitated snake, with at least a few cm of neck attached, can remain active for several hour. In an investigation involving the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, the reflex remained active for up to 8 hours after death.

Blue

To say someone who kills (or attempts to kill) a snake deserves to die, is absolutely appalling! The same is true of the “What goes around…” version. The values underlying such statements make me want to puke.

Those mindless people who trotted out their “typical media sensationalism” argument either did not bother to read the article or have got enough activity going the ears to be able to pass a relevant comment. If you are going to comment, at least keep it within the confines of what actually happened or what was actually said.

Our death rate due to snakebite over the past 30 years is usually quoted by the authorities as 2 to 4 deaths per year nationally. Off the top of my head I think it is 3.2. Queensland has the highest death rate of any state and Eastern Browns are responsible for the majority. There has been an overall increase in fatalities over the last 10 years but it is conjecture as to why. One of the possible reasons, which would certainly be a contributing factor, is the expansion of human dwelling into semi-rural areas as urban land prices soar.

The current death rate due to bee and wasps stings is approximately 3 per years i.e. equal to that for snakes. It used to be 10 per year but the advent of epi-pens has brought it down.

The biting reflex of a decapitated snake, with at least a few cm of neck attached, can remain active for several hour. In an investigation involving the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, the reflex remained active for up to 8 hours after death.

Blue
I agree with you blue. No matter how much I disagree with the unnecessary killing of snakes, no one deserves to die by snake bite. I also find rattlers dead on the road. Whenever I move them off the road with my tongs they almost always start to rattle and flail around. They usually start to bite the tongs aswell. Just in case anyone is wondering why I do this is because some people who find them on the road try to get there rattles and end up getting nailed.

Sad for both victims of ignorance, but avoidable. Wouldn't it be great if the newspapers published the simple fact "LEAVE IT ALONE"

As far as I know it's illegal to kill a snake. I hate people who think just because their is a venomous snake around them gives them the right to kill the poor reptile:x. after all it is said that a snake is more afraid of you then you are of them. As long as the snake is ok then I'm happy even if the old man died but that is still a little bit sad for him and his family:|.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back