Brown Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saratoga

Reaction score
A beautiful big Brown Snake from Cann River, East Gippsland.

_GJW4948.jpg

_GJW4958.jpg

_GJW4977.jpg

_GJW4979.jpg

Unfortunately the snake was killed by a car probably only minutes before we found it.......fortunately it showed hardly any signs of external damage and made for some nice photos.

I tried for what I thought was a fairly natural pose...did it fool anyone?

beautiful looking animal.......... shame it's dead.... what a waste (sigh) - good pose though!!

thats great. i thought it was alive too. i didnt read the thing at the end and im like HOW DID THEY GET PICS OF UNDERNEATH WITHOUT BEING EATEN?!
you're braver than i am. for some reason im scared of dead animals. id rather touch a live one..... :shock: dont know why.....

yeah i was wondering how you got so close after the second pic/ wondering what camera and lense kit you were using. did it cross your mind that playing with dead things is strange? suppose it's like in the 1800s where dead people had their photos taked sitting in a chair all dressed up.

thanks for the comments....I'm using a Nikon D200 camera.

Here is a photo of the snake as we found it.

_GJW4945.jpg

It's rarely that you find a dead snake in "such good condition"

Even though it was dead I was very careful in moving it...held it with a proper head grip as I have heard stories of freshly killed snakes still twitching or having the bite reflex....so don't automatically assume it's safe because its been run over.

You're right I should have taken it to a Museum but the logistics of the situation didn't allow for it unfortunately.

"suppose it's like in the 1800s where dead people had their photos taked sitting in a chair all dressed up"...yeah thats kind of spooky.....they even painted "eyes" on their closed eyelids sometimes!

Well done, fooled me! :D

great photography there saratoga, also enjoyed the gippy dragon thread.

I have heard stories of freshly killed snakes still twitching or having the bite reflex.

I've decapitated an eastern brown and the body still responded to touch and maintained a righting reflex. They're tough animals. I don't muck around with the head end.

Stewart

great pics saratoga, you had me going. I was starting to think, mate your braver then I thought :p done well, great photos.

I've decapitated an eastern brown and the body still responded to touch and maintained a righting reflex. They're tough animals. I don't muck around with the head end.

Stewart

great pics, i guess thats where they get the old wives tale they dont die till night time, till they are cold

I bet you never beheaded a snake again after that Stewart..I have watched the head of tiger snake as its eyes followed movement and the mouth opened in defence as it was approached.
Gave me nightmares, now if i have to euthanise them i use the blunt force causing brain trauma.
A lot quicker but not great if the animal is going to the museum.

nice shots i love the close up you sure fooled me i thought it was alive

I bet you never beheaded a snake again after that Stewart..I have watched the head of tiger snake as its eyes followed movement and the mouth opened in defence as it was approached.
Gave me nightmares, now if i have to euthanise them i use the blunt force causing brain trauma.
A lot quicker but not great if the animal is going to the museum.

I had already crushed the animal's skull. I decapitated the head to make sure I didn't get bitten while I was examining the animal's body. I would never decapitate an animal to kill it. Crushing the skull completely is the only non-chemical method I use, but you're right, it's not good for specimens destined for museums.

I think I'd have nightmares too if I had a bodiless snake's eyes following me.

Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back