Brown tree snake care?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trench

Reaction score
Google was more than useless,
so could some one tell me how to care for a pair of brown tree snake- cage size?
temps?
can they be housed together, and if so will they still breed?
how often do I feed them? will I need to seperate them to feed them?
and any other things a keeper should know,
Cheers :)

please??

Last edited:
I more or less keep them like a python. Just don't feed big feed items ( maybe a few weaner or hopper mice ) and try and keep the humidity up otherwise you will spend your evening peeling stuck sheds.

Oh and look forward to cleaning up crap. Lots of crap! They love crapping :)

Wow that alot of info mister_snakes, thanks. I am really thinking about getting a tree snake.

Unfortunately I did find one yesterday. Around the corner from me there was a green tree snake dead in the gutter, don't know why it was dead. It was in great condition, hadn't been hit by a car and no visible injures. It was a good size as well probably 1-1.2m. I have never seen one in the wild just a pity this one was dead.
But I know they are hard to find in captivity.

There not hard to find in captivity, depends on what form and locality you are looking for as to price, they do carry a price tag tho, I keep mine in quite small-med enclosures with meny climbing branches, and little heat around 24-26c and they strive very well, all feeding on rats once every 2weeks, and yea they crap alot so be ready to clean alot, I have found they don't do very good in large enclosures unless multiple indaviduals are housed together. Very interesting animals to keep in captivity, not hard to look after at all, as for breeding I have not breed them yet so won't comment.

I have 2 mating

A brown tree snake appeared on my back veranda, last Friday night & then reappeared at the same spot with a mate, last night. Only have a crappy mobile phone photo of them.

Are they territorial?

Do i need a license to capture?

They are easy to keep, one of my favorite snakes... I keep mine in a V70 rack, they are different to pythons, much shyer, place a few dead fuzzies / medium mice in the enclosure at dusk and they will either be all or none gone in the morning. It really helps to breed mice if you keep this species, and as said feed smaller items.

Cedar, yes you either need a special lic or they are totally hands off depending on which state you live in

Cheers Thanks guys "n" girls :)
What should I be paying for a pair of high quality northerns or southerns
Cheers :)

NT Night tiger type around $400 - $500ea, East Coast type, $200 ish.. Keep in mind that very few people have actually bred them / and or raised them up from hatchlings and most getting around are WC.

BTS do fine if housed together as long as the sizes are kept pretty similiar, they seem to breed better if housed in pairs or small groups. Their crap stinks, but they are great snakes. Dead easy to keep if they have a bit of size on, and even pretty easy as hatchlings if you have some experience.

give them plenty of places to hide and climb, and mix up feeding regimes. i like to scatter small prey items throughout his enclosure and let him find them. I feed once a week but mines only 19 months old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back