Bugs lay Dormant

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
:lol: When I met my husband 10 years ago, he had no animals. When I moved in with him, I brought 5 fish tanks, rabbits, birds and all their stuff. :D I kept a huge range of fish, rex-coated rabbits, hand raised cockatiels that had free flight of the house, and the power bill that came with 4 tropical tanks.

When I closed my pet store, I was so stressed out because of the huge debt I had left, and the strain it put on my family. I swore to myself I'd never want to look at pets again, or other pet shops ever again. It it stayed with me for four years. I never set foot inside another pet store all that time. I bought stuff for my dog over the internet. But when I had to resort to going to a pet shop to buy frozen rodents for my snakes two weeks ago, I kinda went browsing at the fish and the products they have. That bug that I thought had died, is starting to surface. I haven't told my husband, because I have replaced all my fish, bird and bunnies with my snakes so the power bill has not lessened at all. He liked my fish but even he felt the strain of the business we tried to work at and already a "non-animal" person, that just pushed him further towards wanting nothing of the kind in our house.

But I am going back to that pet shop next chance I get to check out their fish tanks ....Sssshhhh.... I have a spare room in my house now, which he said "NO SNAKES" but he didn't say anything about fish tanks :D I have room for two little tanks on my corner unit and a 4 footer against a wall. I've always wanted salmon tailed catfish and a barramundi to grow from a baby. What a waste of a 4 foot tank? I might start off with a community of little guys. I haven't quite decided. But the salmon tails are a must, even if I have to order them through you BLuey because our local shops are relunctant to order fish in for ppl that isn't what they normally keep. I use to have two salmon tails and they were so friendly. They knew when it was feed time and were like sharks. I loved them, even if they aren't the prettiest fish. But I also had two tanks of discus which were also a strong, hardy lot, come and eat from my hands.

At my shop I had two 6ft displays of red-dragons, red turquoise, blue turq and cobalt blue. I reared them from 20cent piece size to beautiful, decent size. Gorgeous, innocent guys until my husband accidentally killed them leaving the tap running in their tank overnight and I didn't find it till next morning and all the fish in the tank and the ones below died. I cried for days, but now I am ready to get them back again. I also had a 6f display with oscars, another with larger african cichlids and a 70cm saratoga which I gave away free to a good home because his tank sprang a leak and I could not afford to replace it. Someone from Wollongong came up and got him.

I have no photos of my shop. I deleted them all when I closed down, I couldn't care less about them at the time. But I have my memory, and now am wonder if it could be worth changing my job from Coles to work in one of the bigger pet stores. I am worried about job security as two chain stores have closed down, but I will definitely do some homework and find out about my chances and job security.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back