building a pond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
i just got the ok from the wife to build a pond. i have read alot on them but i want to know personal exp.
there will be easter long necks in there and maby water dragons at a later date.

they say have a cement pond, but ban you use think pond plastic?
or what do other people use.

filters what is the best to use.

any tips will be great.

i know what to do with the fence part but mainly the pond im just not shore.

thanks
ashley

'but ban you use think pond plastic?'

Please explain ? :)

I have used thick black plastic for a pond I made about 100 years ago and it lasted quite well. (however - after several years it did develop a slow leak).

I had heaps of fish in it and several frogs made their home in there too. I did not have a filter, and the water stayed very clear - just got to pick the right pond plants i guess.

(Depending on the size of the pond, concrete could get quite expensive I would think - I know someone that got their water feature made my a pool company and it cost them over 50k - looked dam fine though - no pun intended)

just use the moulded black plastic pond as the turtles and water dragons will tear pond liner with there nails. and as for a filter if you want it to stay clear use a U.V filter with a bio filter in it the cost Around $300

Bunnings have pond liner, pumps, filters etc. I used a good quality pond liner (not plastic sheet) and there is no way a lizard of turtle would put a hole in it. I would be inclined to try to get a plastic pond though for what you want.

hey ash,go to bunnings .com an get a pricelist mate,do it ur self,the ppl in the garden section of bunnings dont get that job unless they know what they are talking about,,they have all done some sort of horticultural schooling and will quickly and easily point you in the right direction..that or you could check through this sit and find numerous previous threads on this subect,,earthmother knows the subject pretty well i think... :D

I went to KMart and bought a "Jamie Durie cascading pond" for $140. Comes with a big pond, two smaller ones and a pump. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back