building my enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamonchi

Not so new Member
Reaction score
well thought i'd build an enclosure quick smart as brookes 1st spotted will be arriving next week instead of febuary
just got the back to go and the lock on the door. dimensions are 900 l 600 h 400d just need to finish of the vents have 2 side vents placed to the front of cage will also fit heat lamp to roof
IMG_0165[1].jpg
if you can think ofanything i've missed please let me know . brooke does not know her 1st snake will be for xmas instead of her birthday

cheers julie

Nice work looks good. Im going to build a couple while have time off from work over chrissy for my kids. Just one question for you how do you measure up the glass and fit it. I know i can build the box just not so sure about fitting the glass.

If you build the the box but can't fit glass ring around some glass places ask for quotes for glass and fitting.Some places are reasonably priced if you take it to factory for fitting.

i placed the bottom track on then screwed the top of the box in place at the back so the front track can be lowered onto the glass then i screwed the front together

lmao snakes wish i could lock them behind some sliding glass;). Thats exactly the way i was thinking of doing it diamondchi so it works ok then. The only concerne i had with that method is if a glass cracks or breaks you have to pull the front off to replace it. But it would be the easiest way for building the enclosure.

if you buy the track in the plastic bag from bunnings it has the instructions for measuring the glass to fit the hole... from memory the glass should be 11mm shorter than the height of the 'hole' (without the track in place )the tracks are designed so that you can get the glass out if you need to, the top track is deeper than the bottom one, so when you fit the glass you push it up into the top one then lower it into the bottom track.

If you havent seen them yet, virides do some very nice snake shaped acrylic finger grips that just stick onto the glass instead of getting finger grooves ground into the glass ($10 per groove last time i checked) just make sure your glass is clean before sticking them on. too easy and they look great.

Last edited:
+ 1 for Scott's(Virides) acrylic finger grips,they do stick,easy to fit and work very well.

Thanx jack thats good to know i thought it had to be similar removing a house sliding glass door.

LOL, so similar its identical, just a lot easier to handle :)
ps make sure you get the glass edges ground/bevelled properly, my first ones i had done locally, told them what i wanted and they just 'polished' the edge to take the sharp edge of it, it started jamming very quickly. my last lot was done by a glazier recommended by my brother-in-law, who does window frames for a living, totally different result, nicely rounded slides smoothly.

I did use a couple of clamps (loose clamp) and a piece of wood to 'set' the fingergrips in place overnight, but only because the recipient was a 10yo boy and we all know how gentle they can be :) so i wanted to know they were well stuck.

Not the best pic, taken with my phone because i left the camera behind..... but you can just see the fingergrips, and the birthday boy was wrapped that he had 'custom' handles LOL

Matilda's tank.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back