Bursts of activity in otherwise docile snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3xia

Reaction score
I want to understand why sometimes snakes that are normally docile and content to sit around doing nothing all day get super active every now and then. I've noticed my snakes doing it every now and then for about a day, then they're back to normal again. The only reasons I can really think of is they're hungry or trying to shed. Anyone know some other reasons?

For example: My MD has been rubbing her nose against the chicken wire on her enclosure for hours on end lately. I let her out the other day on the grass for a bit, thinking she might need some exercise even though I usually handle her a lot. She just slithered around slowly and was less active than she was in the enclosure, so I put her back again and... straight back to rubbing her nose. I also tried feeding her but she refused. Granted, she was close to shedding so maybe she'll eat now that she's shed.

Anyway, I'm always fascinated by my snakes' behaviour and was after a bit of insight into why they do these things.

Maybe she was rubbing her nose to get skin off or something? I noticed my snake likes to rub its face against the log if it has loose skin annoying him during shedding period.

Plenty of other reasons.They can be trying to get out for example.They would not see chicken wire as a barrier as opposed to something solid.It will most likely end up with health problems if it continues to rub against the wire.

Face rubbing is usually because the snake wants to escape. Make sure all the conditions are correct like temps and humidity.

If there is chicken wire keeping your snake in I would guess that there is some kind of nice smell wafting in that your snake wants to go check out. As stated the chicken wire does not seem like a barrier to your snake as it can senses fresh air and thinks there is an opening but as someone else stated be careful that your snake does not damage it's face on the wire.

Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for the advice so far. She hasn't got any signs of wear on her face yet, and I live in Darwin so temperature and humidity shouldn't be an issue. She did refuse a second feed though, about a week after the last refused feed. After inspecting her more closely I think she might have been bitten by something. There is a pink tinge under to some of her scales, and she was rubbing her belly/face against the wire, so that would make sense. I have removed her from her enclosure and sprayed some of Callington's insecticide, although I have been checking her and her enclosure for insects/mites since she started this behaviour and have yet to see anything moving. There's nothing in the fold under her chin either, and my childreni seems clean and unfazed (eating consistently and eagerly, very low activity) as well.

Just an update for any future readers of this thread. A vet visit (Steve Cutter at the Ark Animal hospital) confirmed that my MD is in fact very healthy, just sexually frustrated - and also male! The vet couldn't find any signs of mites or the pink tinged scales I noticed earlier, but said the pink was probably from ants biting him when I took him for a walk, and should clear up soon. More details in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back