burtons legless lizards, anyone keep or breed them?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
hey, just wondering if anyone keeps or breeds this sp and how 2 house and look after it.
john

I used to keep one, ended up selling it to URS.

I kept it in a 2ft cage with a 40W blue light globe which was on 24 hours, attached to a thermostat set at about 27 degrees. I used sand, top soil & breeders choice as substrates. Cage decoration included lots of native grass tussocks, a log, an overturned pot holder thingy with a small access hole cut out on the side and a water bowl of course. Feeding consisted of small skinks, usually garden skinks but also the occasional Copper-tail or Red-throat.

Hope this helps some.

I keep 1, have it in a 2ft fish tank with course sand substrate and grass tussocks stuck into plaster bases.I usually feed it asian house geckos with an occassional garden skink for a change.

heres a couple of pics

burtons1.jpg

burtons.jpg

NOOOO. Poor little gekky being eaten by the big meany nasty-face thing. :cry:

We come across these lizards quite a lot up here. I came across one that had its tail crushed by a car. It was surrounded by a dozen birds of different varities and was doing its best snake impersonation, tounge flicking out and coiled ready to strike. Very impressive. I picked him up and gave him to Yommy but it died of its wounds that day.

I used to keep one years ago when I was in NSW. Pretty easy to keep provided you have access to a lot of garden skinks or the like.

reptililian said:
NOOOO. Poor little gekky being eaten by the big meany nasty-face thing. :cry:
That poor little Gecko is a pest that won't hesitate to eat it's own kin, they have been known to wipe out local Geckoes from houses ect.

Mine have just laid this years clutch of eggs over the weekend. I am slowly bringing mine around to eating mouse tails. From there, next step is pinkies (hopefully).

Bakes said:
We come across these lizards quite a lot up here. I came across one that had its tail crushed by a car. It was surrounded by a dozen birds of different varities and was doing its best snake impersonation, tounge flicking out and coiled ready to strike. Very impressive. I picked him up and gave him to Yommy but it died of its wounds that day.

It doesnt look to wounded to me... Evil i tell ya... Evil :evil:

Anyway, that is a gorgeous animal you got there. :)

Nice lizard, I think Mip Pugh has breed burtons before (but don't quote me on that). I know she keeps them, she brought one to a VAAH meeting along with other reptiles for display maybe 2 years ago, gee they are good looking reptiles, hopefully they become more easily trained on pinkies in future generations so they're able to be kept in captivity more.

Nice lizard, I think Mip Pugh has breed burtons before (but don't quote me on that). I know she keeps them, she brought one to a VAAH meeting along with other reptiles for display maybe 2 years ago, gee they are good looking reptiles, hopefully they become more easily trained on pinkies in future generations so they're able to be kept in captivity more.

lol, didn't mean to post twice, it was the computer I swear! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back