Buying barramundi, cod fingerlings help cheers..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah im setting up a natives tank soon, im just not sure on what to get.. im def gettin Barra n Murray cod but im not sure on what else.. any ideas? Im trying to find some where i can get Mangrove jack aswell

Can they really co-exist in the same tank? Surely you would have trouble with two large predatory fish together? And the barra would quickly outgrow the cod.

I think i'm gonna set up a big spare tank i have for a saratoga.

Iv seen them in the same tank in many Big native tanks well Barra n Murrays anyways, my tanks 1500L so its can hold some big fish! Im just not sure on what natives to go with..
Yeah nice i had a saratoga a while back it loved live mice! Have you got any other fish tanks setup..

even tho ur tank will be 1500L the jack will beat the **** out of everything else in the tank....... plus they are one of those fish that can be kept in fresh but not on a long term basis....... why dont you look at some of the medium sized perches, grunters and a school of archers are pretty sweet to i had a small shoal of massive archers they were ravenous they used to eat fish, crix, roaches and pinky/fuzzy mice

Yeah that's true the Mangrove jack would be a bit of a problem as it gets older.. I was lookin at archers there going on my list for sure, the mouth almighty ill have a look at now cheers mate

You'll have trouble if anything is small enough to fit in the cod or barra's mouth. Also, as mentioned Mangrove Jack can be difficult to raise in fresh, quite often dying suddenly or needing to transition to brackish/full salt.

Tarpon can go well in fresh - I have one at the moment that hand feeds from me and schools with half a dozen salmontail cats. They are slow growing though. I heard there were on a wholesalers list recently but can be hard to pickup.

Although its a good size tank, I wouldn't put a toga in with the cod and barra either (personal preference)

1500L wow what are the dimensions? I agree though although it is a large tank alot of these fish you want to keep should be kept in a species tank.

In the NT we also call sooty grunter black bream, just something to keep in mind if you go to buy some.
Good point. And from what I've heard, a sooty would murder pretty much anything else in the tank.

Can they really co-exist in the same tank? Surely you would have trouble with two large predatory fish together?
I reckon if the cod & the barra were a similar size it'd be OK. Any major difference of size could be a problem. If they were two different species of lutjanids I wouldn't trust em together either.

Im trying to find some where i can get Mangrove jack as well
Jacks can get a bit territorial & bash or kill anything considered food (which can be quite large) or invading its space

why dont you look at some of the medium sized perches, grunters
Some of these species can also be quite aggressive. Having said that, would love some jungle perch one day.

You'll have trouble if anything is small enough to fit in the cod or barra's mouth.

Tarpon can go well in fresh - I have one at the moment that hand feeds from me and schools with half a dozen salmontail cats. They are slow growing though. I heard there were on a wholesalers list recently but can be hard to pickup.

That first statement will go for any of Aus' freshwater native predators. I've had a snakehead gudgeon knock off one pf my PSGs which I though was too big to be considered prey. I was wrong.

Do you find the tarpon flighty at times? Has it ever tried to jump out for whatever reason?

Send some salmontails down here, they're getting hard to find & are now quite expensive in Sydney! Great aquarium fish, very active, but ravenous appetite.

Heya fellas im just wondering if anyone knows of any where i can buy Barra and or cod fingerlings? Any whole sale places or whateva cheers

dont know if you have tried them but windsor hatchery at the roundabout on richmond rd may be of help

The tarpon is a bit flighty and bangs himself up a bit at times but is not really a jumper from what I've seen. All my tanks are lidded to be on the safe side though.

The tarpon is a bit flighty and bangs himself up a bit at times but is not really a jumper from what I've seen. All my tanks are lidded to be on the safe side though.

Mate just looked at few photos of tarpon n they get HUGE! there a full on sports fish! where do you get them from? have you got any pictures..

The Indo-pacific tarpon is smaller than the Atlantic but could get to two foot possibly. I've had mine a year and its only about 25cm. Feeds on prawn pieces or whole whitebait. Can't get him on pellets so I stick the pellets into his other food to try to get a bit of variety into him. I'm crap at photos but might try to get some in the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back