cairns blue tongue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cairnscarpets

Reaction score
hi dose anyone here know if we get blue tongue's in cairns as a friend found a large one in bayview, and where not sure if it's an escaped one or wild, and no it's not a pink tounge definitlely a bluey. it doesn't have the eye stripe of the common eastern form. i just thought we didn't get them in the rainforest areas, thought they would be more in the tableland area.

I've seen a dead one (run over) in Brinsmead before - doesn't mean it was a wild one however. But it is highly likely they do occur in Cairns.

would also like to no if they live up round there. As i am moving up there and want to no if its to hot and humid to keep my guys up there ?

I havent seen any round Cairns but the first pic is from one near Laura and the next 2 are from Coen. Id say you'd see them around Mareeba.

Attachments

• blind snake 129.jpg
    blind snake 129.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 128
  • pics 118.jpg
    pics 118.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 115
  • pics 123.jpg
    pics 123.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 115
If you cross a northern(intermedia ssp.) witha T. scincoides scincoides you generally end up with an animal that looks like the one in Gunny's pics.
Dare I say the word...Intergrade?

I don't know exactly what regions Eastern and Northerns are found and where the cross over but I would think wild Blue Tongues could well be found living around Cairns.
The markings on Eastern vary a lot region to region. I have Eastern without (or very pale) eye band which I believe originate from around Brisbane.
I imagine Northerns also have a number of regional variations without being 'intergrades'
I have Northerns very much like the ones in gunny's photos (some even have eye bands). The breeder I got them from is most indignant at the suggestion they might not be pure Northerns. They do have a different pattern to the head scales so that might be the only way to tell.
Northern in photos.

Attachments

• scincoides2.jpg
    scincoides2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 81
  • scincoides2-top.jpg
    scincoides2-top.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 87
The first one is a juvenile from Cairns (Brisnmead) and the second one is from just south of Ingham.

Yeah I have been told there hear, but I am yet to see one but I guess there around we do alot of herping and the closest animal we find is pink tongues.

Yeah we've seen them up here in cairns, up around stoney creek on the walking tracks. They're hidden in leaf litter most of the time

Yeah we've seen them up here in cairns, up around stoney creek on the walking tracks. They're hidden in leaf litter most of the time

You mean you have seen them in the rainforest at Stoney Creek?

Not seen any in Cairns yet came across this lil podge in Speewah:)

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 96
cairns bluey

here is the pic's of the bluey found at bayviey, sorry for the delay but i have been away for a week.

cheers Rhys...

Attachments

• LIZARDS 016.jpg
    LIZARDS 016.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 78
  • LIZARDS 018.jpg
    LIZARDS 018.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 74
  • LIZARDS 019.jpg
    LIZARDS 019.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 69
Status