calcium for crocodile

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a young freshwater crocodile, he is in a nice and large aquarium set-up with all the requirements such as a filter, basking light, UV light etc.. He is feeding well on crickets and woodies daily and fish twice a week. As most of you know young crocs need fairly large amounts of calcium in their diet to grow nice and healthy, so I want to occasionly supplement his diet with calcium powder. but how??? he only eats prey that is floating on the surface of the water and only when I am out of the room. so I cant just cover is prey in calcium powder, so I was thinking, would it be possible to mix the calcium powder with water and inject it into the food item, any problems with this?
thanks

Hmm...my mate has quite a few crocs and i'm pretty sure he feeds them rodents of all sizes and injects them with calcium with a "pinkie pump" or whatever...the rodents are just defrosted.

Brodie,
I use a product called "Calcium Sandoz Syrup" as the supplement in the diet of my Black Soil beardies. It's main use is for dogs and cats, but works a treat for the herps. Ask your local herp vet up there and see what it's like for crocs.

Because it's a syrup, you can inject it into any meaty prey for the croc.

S. Archibald

I wish i had a croc!

I would look at a site on the captive care of crocidilians by Adam Brittan. I don't have the link with me but you should be able to find it on google.

thanks guys, I will be sure to look into all of your ideas :)

They are the most awesome animals ever, it is so amazing wacthing the way he catches his food, the way he eats and his different behaviour throughout the day. Anyone that can get a crocodile in the future..get one!! they are bit of xtra work, but are worth it!

hey baritji i have a liquid calcium product available, it is supposed to be for dogs but may be worth a shot it is called calci-yum here are the details

Caramel flavoured liquid Calcium supplement for dogs and cats. Contains highly soluble Calcium Salts together with Vitamins D3 and B1 to provide optimum Calcium absorption in the intestines.

AA08 250ml $9.50
AA09 500ml $15.00
AA10 2.5L $44.50

Crocodiles

You lucky lucky B***ards, how come you get to keep crocodiles and the rest of us have to wish! Come on Queensland sort out the legislation for us......
On a proper note, hope some of the calcium ideas you have been given will work for you, good luck with the little fella.

thanks everyone!! I think that stuff you mentioned stockeh is the way to go for now, and I will see how it goes. where can I get it from?>

Awesome, thanks heaps for that, you will hear from me via email tonight and sometime tomorrow i suspect.
Cheers

Baritji,
What state are you in?
Just wondering as I am sure a few others envious people are to.
Cheers Neil

any one else that is looking for a good calcium product this stuff is the best, i use it with all of my dragons and mix it in with their vegies, the taste seems to make them more willing to eat and it boosts their calcium intake, everyones a winner

Hola!
I am in the Northern Territory mate. I can keep him to full size, but after 60cm there are regulations which I have to follow. these I already have financing for so should have him for many years to comer. you can also keep salties full size here if you have the soace and obtain special permission..dont quote me on that!

do you have a picture of him? in victoria can we keep crocs to any size? or do we have to only have them til they are 4-5 foot? can we keep salties legally as well? probley yes just to certain size am i right? as i know of a few people down here wit crocs and they are all getting up and over 5 foot now so would be interesting to know.

in darwin most petshops have saltwater crocodiles at some time of the year. im still trying to convince mum that their not that bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back