calico/axanthic X calico/axanthic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onthillside

Reaction score
Hi every one,
With the retirement of Neil Sonnermann, I have been lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to continue where Neil left off with this project.

For those that are familiar with Neils work it is numbers 449(f) 452(f) 460(m) 461(m) and for those that dont know Neils work, this is 2 adult pairs of BHP's that carry the calico genes and are also het for axanthic. This was Neils last project and involves about 14 years of selective breeding to produce this line. I dont think anyone else will be pairing calico/axanthic het to calico/axanthic het yet and both pair bred this season for the first time with some amazing results. Male 460 is what cathy(Neils better half) considered almost Hypo. Male 461 was her favourite and has very high white base colour, and is the father of some of the "pin stripe" axanthics produced by Neil.

As you all can probably tell i'm very excited!!!!!!

There are some fantastic BHP's being produced in Oz these days and i'm thrilled to be a part of it all.

I will keep everyone updated as the project develops.

T

Well best of luck sounds like a rewarding project some pics good would be good

Please clarify for me the mode of inheritence of calico? It's my understanding that it is not a simple single gene trait and is not really understood. I realise that axanthic is recessive, but i guess you will have to hold all the offspring to adulthood to see which ones may go calico (being as you can't tell until at least 18 months of age to 2.5 years of age . Please correct me if i am wrong?

Sounds like fun if you have the room for many many adult bhp's

Gird

Hi everyone,
Here are some pics as promised. First is male 461. He is the sire to some of the "pinstripes" bred by Neil.

DSC02529.jpgDSC02588.jpgDSC02584.jpgDSC02557.jpgDSC02582.jpgDSC02606.jpgDSC02631.jpg
pencil.png

Second is male 460. Very light in colour and if you look closely he may be changing(a bit early to tell)
DSC02538.jpgDSC02612.jpgDSC02615.jpgDSC02574.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking collection should be extremely rewarding when the hatchys come:p

Here is female 449. She is 100% het axanthic and from a calico female. She will be paired with male 461 and will produce high quality pinstripe axanthics and het axanthics. Its anyone guess at this stage about the calico side of things.

DSC02693.jpgDSC02698.jpgDSC02687.jpgDSC02675.jpgDSC02644.jpgDSC02649.jpg
pencil.png

Good luck T, I hope all goes well for you. Will be interesteing to see if 460 changes for you.

I 've seen these animals on several occasions and the pics certainly don't do them justice.

Cheers Rob

Oh my goodness!

Stunning animals and very desirable.

Rob,
Thanks mate. Yeah i tried with flash, no flash, and hard to get a pic that shows them as they are, and you are right they look even more stunning in the flesh.

T

Hey T.

Top project, definitely some interesting genetics in those animals! I look forward to seeing future offspring, I expect some cracker animals that you'll have no choice but to hold back... Hope you intend on having alot of cage space in the future...:lol:;)

Top stuff, love projects!
Den

Hi all,
I have just finished setting up a web page with heaps of pics for everyone. Pics are of this BHP project, but also heaps of other pics of animals i have had over the years. Enjoy. T's BHP's

T

Bet you cant wait, fingers crossed for your project.
Is that 8 lumps in her belly? ...Not long now : )

Great news. Female 452 just finished laying.
A huge effort on her behalf laying 17 eggs ALL fertile.
T

Congrats T, well worth all the effort. Hope incubation goes as well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back