Calling horse people: opinion needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Okay I got offered a 6 month old Dark Bay colt (yes a full colt) for $200 ono. This little thing is stationbred, mature about 14.2 hands and no parentage is known. He has been floated, picks up all 4 feet, has been haltered and is learning to lead well. They are selling him because he was for their daughter who lost interest. Now, she's sending me photos tomorrow and I'll be placing a call to my local Equine Vet to see how much gelding a foal costs (no way am I going to breed something that stationbred and I know nothing about). I'm expecting it's probably going to be in pretty poor shape, maybe horrid conformation and whatnot. Now I know a place on 80 acres with plenty of grass and water where I can turn him out for $10 a week until he's matured a bit. I'll be going up there of course to work on his leading and brushing him, etc. But when he's between 18 months - 2 years I'd bring him down to where I keep my other horses and start working him, sell him, hopefully make a bit of a profit. Now, I'd probably only offer $100 on this thing ,maybe less depending on what the photos show, so if she agreed to that then yeah he'd be mine. FIrst I'm going to check out this gelding fee so I can see just how much this is going to cost me in the first few weeks because I'm not going to keep this colt a .. well full colt for any longer. 6 months is long enough.
I'm expecting mum to be annoyed when she comes home tonight and I bring it up within the next few days soooo before I tell her, what's your opinions? Should I buy this poor colt? The only real reason I'm considering it is because I have the biggest soft spot for horses (especially young ones) and I just have a gut feeling that, for such a cheap price, this boywill end up dead in a slaughterhouse or in a horrible auction where he'll most likely then end up dead.
Since my mare is going in foal next month, within a years time I'll have 4 horses, unless I've sold my brumby by then. Now I'm positive I can afford this, especially since the foal will be turned out for a year at least with so much grass I wont need to feed him anything extra.

Do you guys think I should do it or let the foal pass?

If there is a posability of something worse happening to him i would say yes go for it. I have been in a similar predicament except that my partner was a vet so the ahem cost nothing nad i never regreted aanything .Just make sure that you can afford his upkeep and agistment or you will be putting him worse off.
Do what you know is right

I know for certain I can afford it. Once I see some photos tomorrow I'll be able to judge his conformation. If it's so bad that he'll be lame by the time he's 4 or worse, then I'll let her take him to slaughter. You don't want to save a horse just so it lives a life of pain.
Hopefully he'll be quiet so he can go to a pony club home in the future, or something like that. Now to break it to mother -cringes-

Go for it................if you can. Even if his conformation doesnt look much now he will probably shape up OK...I have seen lots that you wouldnt look at as foals but then mature into well put together horses (my big old horse was one of them, he matured to 16.1hh -will dig some pics out of him as a 2 yr old and then when he was in his hay day) Another pony we bought at 2 1/2 was a shocker......hes now almost 16 and everyone comments on what a lovely fellow he is - nature and conformation.

Horsy said:
They are selling him because he was for their daughter who lost interest.

Who would buy a young colt for their daughter! Weird. They mustn't have had him very long, at six months old, I doubt he would have been weaned much more than around eight weeks ago. Are you sure they are not telling porky pies?

Be interesting to see the photos, I kinda wonder why they would sell a horse for $200 unless he was a bit of a nag. But if he's only gonna cost you $100 and $10/wk to agist, I don't suppose you really have much to lose. Post the pics here when you get them!

i would go for it if you can afford it, and if your going to try to brake him your self are you quit sure you can? its not as easy as some would think i have 3 horses and my gelding pony was really easy to brake but my cousins pony i helped brake tryed to kill me a few times.
$200 for a foal is okay if he's not on deaths door, gelding is only about the same price i think?
and if he is quite selling later shouldnt be a drama.
Why do people do things like this to animals? i think parents need to be kicked sometimes.
Nobody seems to realise that animals live for a few years.... and why on earth would you buy a colt for a child? A 15 year old ponie thats been there and done that would be a much better start for people with no idea they are much more forgiving and closer to the ground if you fall

please post pic's. and its nice to see someone with a heart

They probably are telling porky pies. The colt is stationbred so he'd be a bit of a mongrel. Oh well, I'll take him I guess.

And pythonsgirl; I used to break young horses in for a living. Don't worry about me, I can do it all just fine :)
As for your "why buy a young colt for a child?" I reckon he's probably very colty already and most likely has some BAD manners from them not disciplining him and that'll be why they're selling him so cheap.

LOL, you crack me up horsey girl, you're 17, you may have broken in a few horses, but I doubt it was for a living. :) Luckily at 17 you're 10 feet high and bullet proof (plus you bounce when you hit the ground!)

If you think you can afford to have this colt, then go ahead, just keep in mind that just a few weeks ago you were telling us you didnt know how you could afford to pay for your last lot of hay. Now you're talking about breeding your mare and buying another horse. The gelding itself will be a few hundred dollars, the agistment is at a great rate, but take into account if hes been poorly treated, he might need more than just grass to bring him back to full health. Do you have enough money to pay for vet fees should he go through a fence etc etc. But you have horses, so you know all that.

Cheers

Okay I wouldn';t say living for me as I live off my parents but for my horses' livings anyway. Age doesn't stop what experience people have had.

And I got a job that pays a great wage so expenses is all out the door with plenty of money left over. Plus my $1400 tax return is going to my mare's vet bills while she's in foal and will continue saving during that time as I want a Vet on call during her last few weeks of pregnancy. If I say I'm comfortable with my money situated, that should be enough. Debates aren't required.

BTW I don't recall saying I bounce when I hit the ground. Most of my falls result in some pretty serious injury but that's not going to stop me riding or training.

Horsy, thats great that you have a job, maybe I missed that bit. If you can afford it, then go ahead and save the little guys life (I suspect he'll be off to the doggers otherwise). You're right, age doesnt stop what experience people have had, you just seem to have squeezed more employment places and experience into your 17 years than most people could into 40 years. Thats not a bad thing at all, I started grooming and breaking when I was 14, and have had some great experiences in Aus and OS due to my experience. Scary to think I have been doing it now for 15 years (geez, now I sound much older than my 29 years!!) lol.
As you said, make sure this little guy is well put together (at least enough to work with) and he might make a great PC for a kid one day. Good luck.

Cheers

Well I started my first horse job at 13 at a riding school and worked there until 15 and there was alot of different aspects involved in that.
But yeah, thanks for the kind words and I am doing all of this to save the boys life, hopefully he'll end up with a good one :D I'll post the photos once she sends them.

Yeah let's see pics :)

And not all colts are the same as far as temperament goes - he could be a dream or he could be the spawn of satan :evil: :lol: Irv was an absolute angel, couldn't have asked for more. So you never know, you might just get lucky!

Okay I've got the photos. The last photo one me over. I think I'll take him. Tell me what you guys think of his conformation. I don't think it's too bad, I was expecting worse to be honest.

Oh and their latest email:

<i>He is healthy but his condition is a bit light at the moment, nothing major. He is still a little shy around people. He hadn't been handled prior to me getting him 3 weeks ago which is why I still have a 'catch rope' on him. </i>

Catch rope? Is this like lassoing? I dunno. Anyway, here are the photos.

IMG_0007a.JPG.jpg

IMG_0010a.JPG.jpg

IMG_0013a.JPG.jpg

IMG_0016a.JPG.jpg

i reckon it would be a great challenge. But make sure the grass is good as we are in a drought,also in brissy/Gold coast there is a lack of calcium in the soil,so I would be supplementing his diet at least 3-4 times a week with pellets with minerals and vitamins added.

He looks like hes riddled in worms. I reckon he will fill out quite nice as he matures.Maybe a bit of a narrow front and back a bit too straight. I reckon he needs a lot of tlc.Very poorly looking but looks friendly and would probably be a brave and gutsy pony clubber.

He has horrible hindquarters, legs are a bit crooked and his shoulder looks like it's almost horizontal (though hard to tell with the winter coat), his tail is very low set but his neck and face are nice. I know alot of foals aren't much to look at but turn out looking pretty darn nice so if she accepts my offer I'll take him on board and give him some loving and some nice food and see what we get.

Yeah apparently she wormed him on Friday so hopefully that wormy gut will pass.

Okay she accepted my offer. Haha. I have a new foal -cringe- :p

Maybe a bit of a narrow front and back a bit too straight

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

But hey, give him a chance, at $100 what have you got to lose?! :) Looks like a sweet little boy and you never know, he might fill out very nicely. He could just be in that awkward foal stage - they all go through it!

So, where is he located (ie is it far away) and when do you pick him up? And what will you call him?

He's located at Alex Hills so only 10 minutes from me. I'm picking him up this weekend and he's staying at my mate's farm for free (god I owe her and love her). His name is Strider but I'm changing it to Ace. Ace is short, sweet and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back