calming with age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micks32

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all.

just wondering do snakes seem to calm down with age? i have got 2 jungle pythons juvies and they r both very very bitey. i have taken a few hits from them and im not comfortable with it at all. im worried about pulling away and hunting the snakes so i use gloves. im hoping they will get a bit calmer and easier to handle once they have a lil more size to them?

thanks guys

Hi Micks 32, I had the same issue with mine. After about a year and a half they were all good. I still get the occasional one though.

ok kool thanks mate. i really love holding them and watching them but im just not keen on the bite. but hopefully they will calm down.

i've found snakes do calm down as they get older and a bit more size to them. Having said that, you have jungles, i'm sure some calm down but they aren't exactly known for being the best handlers. Every snake is different just luck of the draw.

If you leave them alone they may just grow out of it. I used to have one that was a typical psycho when small but it seemed to stop when it got to around 6'. IMO the best thing to do is not use gloves but try and handle them without getting bitten, once you get the hang of it you can pick up a fairly snappy python with your bare hands without getting bitten(most of the time lol).

If you arnt prepared to get bitten a bit you are probably better of selling them and getting something that isnt snappy.

what snake is the most commonly known best handler?
i would love to get a snake that handles well. im working on these 2 and i will be breeding them when they r big enough in a few years.

dont get me wrong i love these guys and will endure until they r good handlers.(hopefully they are) i understand they r very young and everything is very new to them some im not expecting them to become great handlers anytime soon.

i have heard the more effort you put in to them the more they reward u, so thats the way im going. will post some pics later tonight of my little nippers.

Hey Micks, Diamonds are pretty good handlers... they dont care about much and most will let you pick them up any time... Bredlis are pretty good too.

ok thanks man will look into it.

thanks alot

Murray Darling Carpet Pythons are probably the least likely to bite, but you will get individuals of any species that can be calm or snappy.

A lot depends on the individual snake. I have a Coastal that was very snappy when young and is still quite flighty. He has taught me how to handle him and I haven't copped a tags for months now. My wife has a Darwin, often known to be snappy, but this fellow is as calm as any snake can be. He has never even looked like having a go.

thanks alot for all the info guys keep it coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back