can beardies have infertile clutches??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samlam1187

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey ya'll,

just a curious question but can a beardie have infertile clutches? or can they retain sperm to fertilise the next clutch??

i ask this as my beardie bred for the 1st time and since being with the male the 1st time has laid 3 clutches in total but was only with him once.

any insight at all would be wonderfull.

Cheers,
Sam.

hey ya'll,

just a curious question but can a beardie have infertile clutches? or can they retain sperm to fertilise the next clutch??

i ask this as my beardie bred for the 1st time and since being with the male the 1st time has laid 3 clutches in total but was only with him once.

any insight at all would be wonderfull.

Cheers,
Sam.

yes beardies can have infertile clutches. i have had a couple this season. just becareful because it will still take a fair toll on the girl.

oh thank goodness, yeah she has lost alot of weight i was starting to get soooo scared. she is eatin well now. do u rekon she will do that every season?

Most beardies will have 2-3 clutches from the one mating, usually with the eggs being fertile (unless the female is lacking calcium or underweight during the process), & apparently if conditions aren't right one yr - weather too cold, not enuf food, late breeding e.g. - they can retain the sperm until the next yr.
If u breed her next yr, make sure & have her nice & plump before she starts, & feed her really well for the few months during & after eggs, plus supplement with calcium powder.

Yeah could go both ways. They can lay infertile eggs, but also lay 3 clutches off the same mating. So it's a waiting game to see how each clutch goes.

I am waiting on a clutch now. Just an added question to this thread: if they were infertile how long till they go smelly or yuk?? My girl laid a clutch a week ago, and am not sure if they're good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back