Can Rspca do anything?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was staying at my brothers flat on the weekend in ALbury, they own 2 cats one adult male who is desexed and one female kitten. Both cats stay indoors 24/7 are the most loved and spoiled cats ever, the male is occasionally allowed outside to sniff around only while supervised, the kitten is just too hard to catch at the moment hehe

Anyway, the neigbour flat had about 4 or more adult cats, and about 10 or so kittens running around. They are obviously just left to breed whenever, because the kittens are different ages, some bigger some only weeks old. They are kept outside and roam around freely.

When i got up one morning and went outside, there was feathers all over the lawn, and it looked like about 3 birds had been killed.
I told my brother he should call the rspca or someone, and he said they have called them heaps of times and they wont/cant do anything.

Its getting rediculous with these cats, who would you call? Can anything be done about this at all?

you could try the local council but dont hold your breath for them to do anything, i dont see why the rspca wont do anything, i thought that was their job, but as long as all the cats are healthy and have access to all their essentials then they wouldnt consider it a problem, whether theyre killing the birds or not

It depends on how tough your brother is. If the cats are unsupervised outside, it is legal to capture them and euthanise them yourself.

I would say the RSPCA is restricted in what they can do and it's probably more a council issue.

I've recently been in touch with the RSPCA in relation to my mother's neighbours. They have about 16 guinea pigs running freely in their front yard and they roam all down the street. The RSPCA did go out and speak to the people and they started keeping them in their enclosures for a few days but then they were out again the following week.

I again sent in an email about it and I was contacted by one of the inspectors who told me that there is nothing more they can do. The legislation only states that they must be provided with shelter, food and water and they technically are doing this, but there is no where in the legislation that says they must be locked in their enclosure. The inspector reported them to the council in regards to animal control issues, and advised as to do the same.

Most councils have a law on how many cats can be kept on a property and you might find you get better results reporting them to the council.

It depends on how tough your brother is. If the cats are unsupervised outside, it is legal to capture them and euthanise them yourself.

Wow really??? I didnt know that!
I dont think my brother would be able to do it, he owns 2 cats with his girlfriend and ive never seen cats soo spoilt. He wouldnt hurt these cats, i couldnt do it either. Its not the cats fault, its the owners.

Thanks Jewly, ill let him know. I dont know if hes tried the council yet or not, i think hes only called RSPCA

One very important thing to remember is that euthanise does not constitute "hurting" the animal. When done properly, there is no pain or stress involved, so it really is the perfect option. By not euthanising the cats, he is in effect allowing the cruel slaughter of native animals...I know which one sits better with me.

I think a lot of people think the RSPCA aren't doing their jobs a lot of the time but they have to abide by the law. Afterall, if people won't listen to advice about how to care for animals, then the next step is to prosecute them, but they can't do that if they're technically not breaking any law. It's just a shame that it's not legal to capture some owners and euthanise them.

One very important thing to remember is that euthanise does not constitute "hurting" the animal. When done properly, there is no pain or stress involved, so it really is the perfect option. By not euthanising the cats, he is in effect allowing the cruel slaughter of native animals...I know which one sits better with me.

It's only perfect for people who hate cats. They are other ways of handling the situation than going around killing your neighbour's pets just because you don't agree with what they're doing.

Maybe your brother could start up a little 'kitty relocation program'. :lol:

Wish i knew this at 2 this morn. we keep getting this cat from down the street somewhere stirring our dogs up all night everynight. Pest control guy said that is where our flea prob is from too cause it will be going through every yard in the street bringing them with it.

To be honest I'm sick to death of hearing how it isn't the poor cats fault it's the owners. The owners don't go out and kill every native animal they can find, if the owners wont do anything about it then it is up to us to do it. I don't really dislike cats as an animal but I dislike what they are allowed to do here, no-one seems to be concerned about the poor old Cane Toad when they are thrown into the freezer, what's the difference ?

Are you sure? Years ago when I used to do some shooting, they had to be at least 1000 meters from a occupied premise to be considered feral ( and shootable). I couldn't imagine it to be legal to kill any cat you see outside.

how come if your dog jumps the fence it gets taken to the pound and you are fined and have to pay to get the dog out.... why arent people out there catching cats and taking them to the pound?

I would be very surprised if that is true. Do you have a reference for it? It is certainly not mentioned in the Victorian Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act.

23. Dogs and cats on private property without permission

(1) If a dog or cat has been present on private property on more than one
occasion without the permission of the owner or occupier of the property, the
owner or occupier of private property or an authorised officer may seize the
dog or cat while it is present on the property.

(2) The owner or occupier of the private property or the authorised officer
who has seized a dog or cat under subsection (1) must immediately so notify
the Council of the municipal district in which the property is situated.

(3) If the authorised officer who seized a dog or cat under subsection (1) is
able to identify the owner of the dog or cat, the authorised officer must,
within 5 business days after the seizure of the dog or cat, serve on the owner
of the dog or cat a notice of objection to the presence of that dog or cat on
the private property.

(4) If, after a notice under subsection (3) has been served, the dog or cat
enters or remains on the private property, the owner of the dog or cat is
guilty of an offence and liable to a penalty of not more than 1 penalty unit
for a first offence, and 3 penalty units for a second or subsequent offence.

(5) A notice under subsection (3) must be served either personally or by
registered post.

25. Cats found at large

(1) If a cat is found at large outside the premises of the owner or not
securely confined to the owner's premises, in a municipal district or a
specified part of a municipal district in respect of which an order under this
section has been made, during the hours specified in the order, the owner is
guilty of an offence and liable to a penalty of not more than 1 penalty unit
for a first offence and 3 penalty units for a second or subsequent offence.

(2) A Council may, by resolution, make an order under this section.

(3) An order made by a Council under this section must be published in the
Government Gazette and in a newspaper circulating in the municipal district of
the Council making the order.

I would call, but sometimes, the rspca just be tools.

Call the local council or something like that, or confront their owners and tell them to be responsible with their pets.

I think the rspca could issue a warning or/and fine, but im not sure....

It is the RSPCA's job to ensure animals are being kept in humane conditions and cared for well and usually you find anyone who is that irresponsible with their animals isn't looking after them properly.

get a possum trap, (put it in your yard) and take them to the pound saying i have a feral cat

if ya wanna get through to the RSPCA say the cats have poor living conditions, are being mistreated(abused), or being deprived of food. they will jump on that (althow there has to be a real problem for them to take the cats away) they dont care how many cats someone owns as long the owner takes care of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back