Can Rspca do anything?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the RSPCA's job to ensure animals are being kept in humane conditions and cared for well and usually you find anyone who is that irresponsible with their animals isn't looking after them properly.

It is not the RSPCA's "job" it is a responsibility of the local govt under the animal welfare act and the RSPCA may or may not be the govt's appointed agent.

http://www.rspca.org.au/animal/emergency_cruel.asp

"The RSPCA has a dedicated and trained force of Inspectors. Whilst it will endeavour to respond to all complaints as quickly as possible please remember that the RSPCA is a non-government, community-based charity and is limited in its resources."

get a possum trap, (put it in your yard) and take them to the pound saying i have a feral cat

I second this motion! This is what my stepdad does. You can hire the traps from the vet or pound, however if you are like my stepdad then you'll make your own and set it up nearly every night and impound any cat that's owner wasn't careful enough to bring inside that night. However, my mum and her partner have even come across stray cats inside their house, so I think stray cat's have hit a soft spot with them.

Catch and inpound, this is the best option for the cats. Then the council have no choice but to do their job in ensuring the cats are looked after properly. Correct me if I am wrong but if a cat/dog goes to the pound now days unregistered and not micropchipped then you have to pay to have this done before getting your pet back, so it will cost this irresponsible owner big dollars if s/he hasn't microchipped and registered his 10 odd cats that he has.

It is not the RSPCA's "job" it is a responsibility of the local govt under the animal welfare act and the RSPCA may or may not be the govt's appointed agent.

http://www.rspca.org.au/animal/emergency_cruel.asp

"The RSPCA has a dedicated and trained force of Inspectors. Whilst it will endeavour to respond to all complaints as quickly as possible please remember that the RSPCA is a non-government, community-based charity and is limited in its resources."

I beg to differ....their own mission statement states...

To prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection.

They are a recognized organisation that asks for community support via donations so they can't say that and then sit back and say it's not their problem.

Someone who has so many cats obviously is not caring for them properly. I bet they aren't wormed or treated for fleas, etc.

Most local councils (maybe yours too) can supply a cat trap for problem animals.A ranger will come and collect the trap plus the caught cat leave you abother trap and take the cat to the pound.Years ago we had a neighbour across the road with heaps of semi feral cats.I ended up catching 16 of them all up over a 3 week period.

One very important thing to remember is that euthanise does not constitute "hurting" the animal. When done properly, there is no pain or stress involved, so it really is the perfect option. By not euthanising the cats, he is in effect allowing the cruel slaughter of native animals...I know which one sits better with me.

What ever happened to just catching them and taking them to the local animal shelter??? At least the poor cats would have a chance, it's not their fault they are left to roam, killing the birds is just a natural instinct, they don't know the difference, it's in their nature. Trap them and take them down to the home, at least they may find kinder owners who do look after them, thay will also be desexed going through there, why should they have to die?

you could allways say to the rspca that the cats and kittens are in poor health, that they are really skinny. this may make them act if they think the cats are at risk

how come if your dog jumps the fence it gets taken to the pound and you are fined and have to pay to get the dog out.... why arent people out there catching cats and taking them to the pound?

This would be my solution. It is NOT legal to trap & kill cats unless the owner cannot be found or the cat is very clearly feral. You can & will be fined if caught. By taking the cats to the shelter, the cats have a chance of finding a new home where they will be properly cared for or put down humanely. Either way, prob solved! Councils & vets have cat traps/ possum traps for hire or lend.

What ever happened to just catching them and taking them to the local animal shelter??? At least the poor cats would have a chance, it's not their fault they are left to roam, killing the birds is just a natural instinct, they don't know the difference, it's in their nature. Trap them and take them down to the home, at least they may find kinder owners who do look after them, thay will also be desexed going through there, why should they have to die?

Because all of the shelters are brimming with them anyway. I would much prefer to guarantee that the cat I just caught isn't going to be harming any more wildlife than take the risk. When did you last hear of an animal shelter wanting more animals?

The information about euthanising cats on your property was given to me about 5 years ago by the RSPCA. They weren't very forthcoming with it obviously, but at the end of the day I found out that it was legal.

We've hired cat /possum traps, caught roaming cats giving us grief and then the local council pound officer came and collected them . There is a type of trap with a hook to hang bait on which can impale the eyes,jaws,throat etc of the trapped animal. I urge people NOT to use this type of trap. I've been told they're illegal but still see them for sale in some places :(. We used one that had a pressure plate, no hook .

Background
Cats are present throughout Victoria, as domestic pets, free-living strays, or as truly feral animals. Estimates in all these categories suggest that there are well over one million cats in the State.

Cats are obligate carnivores, that is, they must feed on animal protein. Each cat requires a minimum of 100-150g of protein each day, more if a female is nursing a litter. This means that an equivalent of at least seven small mammals, such as native Bush Rats, must be eaten each week by each cat.

Even cats that are well fed, apparently contented pets, will instinctively hunt and kill living creatures. An average of 32 wild animals may be killed by each pet cat every year. Each feral cat can kill many more. The potential impact on wildlife is enormous.

What impact do cats have on wildlife?
Cats are known to kill and eat more than 100 native Australian species of birds, 50 mammals, 50 reptiles, three frogs and numerous invertebrate animals. As more knowledge is obtained more animals continue to be added to the list.

Cats are a major threat to wildlife in the bush, where they are common and occur in most habitats, as well as in towns and cities. For example, in 1992, in response to a plague of native rats in south-west Queensland, where the endangered native Bilby survives, feral cat numbers were observed to be at high levels. The Australian Army was called in to assist with control and, to the amazement of wildlife managers, shot 417 cats in four days within 20 km of the Bilby site. Up to six cats were shot out of a single tree in one day! Of interest is that the high cat numbers were on a cattle station on which dingo control was rigourous. Neighbouring stations, with more dingos, had less cats. Cats can survive on water from prey in areas where drinking water is unavailable.

In Australia, cats (and dogs) have no natural predators. The hunting methods of cats are different to native predators, such as quolls, and so native wildlife has few inbuilt defences against cats.

Cats are most active at night, and especially at dusk and dawn. This coincides with the activity periods of much of our Australian wildlife, placing native animals at risk.
Cats kill prey of up to their own body size; most of Australia’s endangered and vulnerable mammals are in this size category.

Cats can significantly control bird populations. Studies in South Australia indicate that domestic cats probably kill the 'standing crop' of birds, (i.e. the same number are killed as are produced each year).

Cats are significant predators on small mammals. In 15 months one wildlife shelter in Melbourne received 272 native mammals with injuries that resulted from cat attacks; 242 of these were Common Ringtail Possums. Almost all died as a result of the attacks.

Cats have also been responsible for the death of at least 25% of all Sugar Gliders registered in the former Wildlife Management Branch (now DSE) collection.

Cat’s mouths can carry bacteria to which wildlife has little resistance, and wildlife that has been injured by cats usually dies - if not from injuries, then from infection.

Cats are the definitive host of the blood protozoan disease Toxoplasmosis which can affect wildlife, sheep and humans. It can cause unco-ordination, blindness, erratic movement and unnatural daytime activity. Toxoplasmosis is often fatal for infected wildlife. It can have effects on reproduction (the disease can cause abortion in sheep and humans). Endangered Eastern Barred Bandicoots are at threat not only through direct predation by cats but from infection with the disease. It probably predisposes affected bandicoots to predation by cats or dogs and to road trauma.

Research into the reintroduction of rare mammals onto mainland Australia has found that, when foxes are controlled, cat numbers increase, continuing the attack on native species. Similarly, because rabbit is a significant part of feral cat diet in many (especially rural) areas, rabbit control without cat control may lead to increased predation on wildlife. Hence, an integrated pest animal control program is essential.

Cats also have an indirect impact on plant pollination by reducing numbers of native birds.

Although habitat alteration and hunting are also important factors, cats have been responsible for the extinction of over 30 species of birds around the world.

Cats have been the cause of decline and extinction of many bird species on a large number of islands including New Zealand, Macquarie Island, Socorro Island (Mexico), Ascension Island, the Kermadec group, Marion Island and many others. There are also records of mammals and reptiles being similarly affected - for example the endemic rodents of the Galapagos are now only found on islands without cats, and in Western Australia at least two species of now-endangered species of marsupial (Banded Hare-wallaby and Golden Bandicoot) have become extinct on the Monte Bello Islands due to cats.

Pet cats kill an average of 16 mammals, 8 birds and 8 reptiles every year. 900 000 pet cats by 32 wildlife each per year = 29 million wildlife.

Feral cats each need to eat the equivalent of seven native bush rats or ten native birds each week. 200 000 feral cats by 10 wildlife by 52 weeks = 104 million wildlife.

Stray cats in cities kill on average 5 wildlife each week. 300 000 cats by 5 wildlife by 52 weeks = 78 million wildlife.

GRAND TOTAL = 211 million wildlife killed by cats in Victoria each year!

On farms
Toxoplasmosis in sheep, spread by cat faeces, can result in abortions, stillborn lambs, and a reduced lambing percentage. It is the most common cause of infectious abortions in sheep flocks in south-eastern Australia. Cats also carry the stock disease Sarcosporidiosis. Sarcocystis infection can result in carcase condemnation at the abattoir. Cats spread these diseases by contaminating pasture, hay and other animal foods with the parasite via their faeces. They in turn are contaminated by eating rodents, birds and wildlife which contain cysts of the parasite. Farmers who wish to avoid the risk to livestock of toxoplasmosis should not let cats near their pastures.

DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY INDUSTRIES
August 1999

To be honest I'm sick to death of hearing how it isn't the poor cats fault it's the owners. The owners don't go out and kill every native animal they can find, if the owners wont do anything about it then it is up to us to do it. I don't really dislike cats as an animal but I dislike what they are allowed to do here, no-one seems to be concerned about the poor old Cane Toad when they are thrown into the freezer, what's the difference ?

Are you serious? Of course it is the owners fault, if they were kept inside and fed properly they wouldnt be killing birds and having a bunch of kittens and we wouldnt be having this conversation.

I also dont agree with euthanising them just because they are outside

MzSel,

Cats kill far more than birds. It may very well be the owners fault, but not doing anything about the cats because their of their owners irresponsibility is irresponsible in itself.

What is so wrong with euthanising roaming cats? I would much prefer to humanely euthanise a feral animal than to know that because I did nothing, a lot more native animals were kill unnecessarily.

Get some cat traps set them and catch the cats then take them to the local pound, animal shelter or rspca whatever is closer. 100% LEGAL AND THE WOMAN CANT SAY SH** ABOUT IT. (IN VICTORIA NOT TO SURE ABOUT NSW)

If this woman wants her cats back she will have to go and get them from the pound, im guessing none are registered so she will have to pay a fine as well as pound fees.

Most councils in Victoria have cat traps availble free of charge (you pay a deposit but get this back when the trap is returned)

I also back the motion to catch the cats and impound them! Catch them with your hands or with traps, whatever, then take them to the pound... problem solved! I would also make sure that the cats are outside/not on their (the neighbours) property when you catch them too...just to be safe/legal... I also would be more inclined to call the council/pound about your problem rather than the RSPCA...Its more of a council issue IMO... and the council can and will put them down if the problem continues...Just keep calling them til the problem is erradicated... It will work... I know people who have had similar problems like this...

Just ring the council ranger/local law/sheriff... if the cats are actually leaving their yard
they might be able to help you... :whistle:

people who live behind us had about 3 adult cats they let them outside they came in our yard everyfew days we rang the rspca they said they cant do anything,6 months later there was a bunch of kittens runing around our yard from the cats again rspca cant do a thing,a year ago a dead kitten was thrown into our yard same story from rspca, now these cats r everywhere breeding under our house always in our yard harrasing my parrots,and my bacckyard is like a bird graveyard last week i had to clean up rainbow lorikeet feathers and piece from the yard...rspca wont do a thing...all cats outside of houses untied or not in cages should be collected by them and dealt with and big fines should be out for owners leting them out thosands in fines if a person kills a native reptile snake etc shouldnt the same fines apply if its the persons cat who does the crime as its there responsibility

basically rspca is either to short staffed to deal with them or they say" legally we cant help
"

people who live behind us had about 3 adult cats they let them outside they came in our yard everyfew days we rang the rspca they said they cant do anything,6 months later there was a bunch of kittens runing around our yard from the cats again rspca cant do a thing,a year ago a dead kitten was thrown into our yard same story from rspca, now these cats r everywhere breeding under our house always in our yard harrasing my parrots,and my bacckyard is like a bird graveyard last week i had to clean up rainbow lorikeet feathers and piece from the yard...rspca wont do a thing...all cats outside of houses untied or not in cages should be collected by them and dealt with and big fines should be out for owners leting them out thosands in fines if a person kills a native reptile snake etc shouldnt the same fines apply if its the persons cat who does the crime as its there responsibility

basically rspca is either to short staffed to deal with them or they say" legally we cant help
"

Hence you call the council instead, they can and will do something about it... especially if you harrass them enough :lol:

Cats kill far more than birds. It may very well be the owners fault, but not doing anything about the cats because their of their owners irresponsibility is irresponsible in itself.

Its also actually technically illegal in qld (and probably other states) to let an animal in your control kill another, this would include allowing a domestic cat outside where it can kill animals. I actually got some feral kittens the other day but they had to many fleas so they wet to the tip.

As you said to start with its best just to get rid of them, if they have a collar take them to the pound.

MzSel,

What is so wrong with euthanising roaming cats? I would much prefer to humanely euthanise a feral animal than to know that because I did nothing, a lot more native animals were kill unnecessarily.

Ummmmm.....Who said they were ROAMING.................and these are NOT feral animals........... THEY HAVE OWNERS........................ NO-ONE has said they are roaming.................. I honestly am sick and tired of hearing from tunnel-visioned anti-cat people................. what you are advocating Jonno, is KILLING a live animal.......... isn't this what you are SUPPOSED to be against, or is one type of animal more important than another.......... please supply us with a list of what is more important than what........... what cames at the top of the list? what is at the bottom??? where do humans come in this, those who kill far more animals than ANY species?????? Should humans be trapped and euthanased too..... ALL of them, because a lot of them harm the earth, the environment, cause whole species to become EXTINCT????? ???? Should humans not be made to become extinct too????? WE kill JUST as many other animals, if more, MANY MORE!!!

Last edited:
Dont know if this has been said already, but if they are renting...... why not the landlord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back