Can you help my identify this snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catmad

Reaction score
My cat caught this snake just a short time ago. I am very upset by this, I have had cats for a long time and never had this happen before.

Here are some photos.

100_2917.jpg 100_2916.jpg

I want to know what type it is, if it is safe I will put it back in my garden but if it is venomous I will go bush to let it go.

It has an injury on it's back. I do not think my cat did this as it is all scabbed over. How fast do they heal?

Waiting for the comments on why a cat was wandering and not in a cat run

Yes dangles... I understand that question and I have been asked that several times. I am a renter and it is very difficult to have a cat run while moving house. my cats are inside at night, desexed and usually well behaved. I am now seriously considering what my options are as to getting a mobile cat run..

My cat older cat that is 7 never catches a moth let alone a mouse.. this is a new cat only 18 months old.. totally different personality.

Will it be ok with the injury on it's back.. if it is a tree snake then I can get closer for a better photo.

It looks like a skinny Green Tree Snake.
Roughly where are you Catmad?

I suggest you either ring WIRES (or your equivalent) or take it to a vet, as animals attacked by cats require antibiotic injections as a preventative measure. It's a pretty standard procedure, as cat mouths harbour harmful bacteria, which can lead to a slow and painful death if teeth have penetrated the skin.

Have a good look for any puncture marks which are not easy to see.

Last edited:
There are puncture wounds on the snake.. I an in Burnett Heads, 10 min outside of Bundaberg. Off to call WIRES now... thanks for the help.

Green Tree Snake

Yep Green Tree Snake. We rescued one a little while ago , the neighbour saw it in the grass whilst he was mowing on the ride on. So before he placed him back in the bush out of harms way he brought him over to show me......Just beautiful !

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 215
I called WIRES and I am going to meet up with the lady after she does her shopping.

Thanks so much for all the advice.. it has been very helpful..

And yes it is a beautiful snake and to be up so close to it is a great experience.

I have a jungle of a front yard with hundreds of frogs.. I am sure there are many more hidden in amongst the trees and plants.

Great to see someone come onto a snake forum after finding a snake to see if there's anything they can do for it.
So I'd just like to say thanks for looking out for the little fella, looks like he has had it rough.

The guy wouldn't be here for help if he knew this in the first place.
So I'm giving him "helpful" advice so this don't happin again.

It is really hard to keep my cat inside but I am going to look for solutions.

It is hot up here and I like to keep door open to get a breeze and one of the doors does not have a screen.

I am going to try to come up with something as seeing this poor little snake has really brought home how much damage cats can do.

OH.. and I am all woman with a heart for wildlife...;)

Good woork and I applaud you for following Bushman's advice. Apart from the puncture wounds it seemed very emaciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back