Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmikk

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can you ID this snake?

It was found in the Redlands, South East QLD, on April 25 2009 (& was released shortly thereafter).

I want Common name, scientific name & (just to make it a challenge) mid body scale row count and anal and subcaudal scale status (single or divided).

Good Luck.

AprSnake5.jpg

AprSnake4.jpg

AprSnake3.jpg

eastern small eyed snake
cryptophis nigrescenss

anal scale single
subcaudal scale single
mid body scales in 15 rows.

Looks like Small Eyed Snake Rhinoplacephalus/Cryptophis Nigrescens.

Anal and sub caudal scales single, 15 rows for mid body scale count.

scientific name #cryptophis nigrescens
ventrals 165-210
subs30-46 single
mids15
anal single

Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens)
Midbody scales at 15 rows
Single Anal scale
30-45 single subcaudal scales

Yep id say small eyed snake...Looks darker than the ones we get down here in the illawarra.

Appears everyone knows their herps here, well done.

Well done Red Belly Bite, spot on with your facts and the most complete answer.

i thought it was a baby red belly, but small eyed has a orangy shade underbelly , im crappy with snake id
carpentarian?... cryptophis boschmai

Appears everyone knows their herps here, well done.

Well done Red Belly Bite, spot on with your facts and the most complete answer.
aww this is the first time I have won anything on APS .....I feel like a subscriber now:lol::lol::lol:
thanks...;)

well i did say i wasnt good/////more like very bad :p
and that the answer was stated before my post so i knew the answer. plus you wont get a caprentarian in redlands.

RedBellyBite, well in that case I had better look through the Oz Snakes Pet & Livestock Classifieds cupboards.....................................

Here we go, PM me your address and I'll send you a new sliding glass door lock for your next enclosure.

regards,

Mick

Lock3.jpg

aww this is the first time I have won anything on APS .....I feel like a subscriber now:lol::lol::lol:
thanks...;)

Yeah, was in two minds how popular it would be, so if you think they would be well received, by all means would be happy to do so.

We've got a great bunch of people here on this site and a wealth of knowledge amongst us all, so if we can promote that, by all means.

Thanks again

Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back