Canker

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonkisses

Reaction score
hello all

As you all know am getting my first python soon and i have been reading and reading heaps of books etc i was reading this one book and it had Canker in it?

Now What is CANKER :roll: and how does the snake get it can it be fixed?

This book i have has a great parts on mites etc which is great for me now i know what to look for when getting my snake/s :lol:

Cheers
Pk :) :wink:

I've heard so much about canker, but almost nothing first hand. I haven't heard of anyone having a snake with canker for a few years now, even second hand stories. Maybe people just don't want to discuss it with me! I heard of one person curing it really quickly with listerine, which is what I'd do if I ever had a snake with it.

If you've read about it you should have a reasonable idea of what it is, a mouth disease caused by infection etc etc

Hi Ya

I just looked it up online wow yucko hope mine dont get it when i get them soon as i find an enclosure lol that helps.

So i take it no one on here has or had a snake with it how did you or they fix it?

Cheers
PK :)

Canker is the cheese like substance that comes with Mouth rot, as Sdjai said, I haven't heard of anyone's snake getting it for years, but it must still happen from time to time.

Many years ago in the UK I got a few WC snakes in that had it, it is a secondary disease which comes about after damage to the mouth of the snake, it usually comes with a great deal of inflamation and redness around the jaw line inside the mouth, then progresses to the canker, which I believe to be destroyed tissue.
Bad cases left unchecked can progress right down the throat of the snake, eventually leading to swollen imflamed area's, at this stage it will stop your snake from feeding and lead to death if left.
They can also get it from persitant rubbing around the face due to mites or respiratory illnesses.

The treatment I used very successfully was a diluted 1:4 of Hydrogen peroxide/water from the Pharmacy, and removal of canker daily, generally they lose a few teeth to.
I would do this every day until completely cleared up, offering no food until the animal was 100% again.

As I said a rare thing nowadays, due to better husbandry knowledge.

Neil

Thanks guys i feel better now so many things are going in and out of my head these days am still tryin to work out this report book i got with my permit lol

Thanks again big kisses to all

PK

Well PK remember to ask all your questions BEFORE ya guests get legless at the BBQ then you should have all the intricacies nice and clear in ya head :)

I am sure there will be many ppl to answer all of you Q's PK including filling out your book...

looks like am the only one not drinking Awwwwwwwwwwww

its my birthday and still cant get legless :(

so someone has to drink for me i pick hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

i have a spare bed to here if someone wants to sleep
or the hotel up the road like 5 mins away have room starting for $19 a night or something like that i can find out anyhow............

Well there u go! I only thought that pigeons got Canker! Dave has pigeons that he breeds for $10,000 Classic Homing Pigeon Races. Well yeah he's already won $1200 last season. So that's good eh? I just didn't realise that other animals got it as well(Canker ie) Dave has some sort of medication that he can use for Canker(you would have to ask him).

pythonkisses said:
looks like am the only one not drinking Awwwwwwwwwwww

I'm driving PK, so I won't be drinking either. We can sit together and laugh at the others staggering around in the bra's and g's ........

:p :p :twisted:
:twisted:

Hix

[quote="Hix]I'm driving PK, so I won't be drinking either. We can sit together and laugh at the others staggering around in the bra's and g's ........

:p :p :twisted:
:twisted:

Hix[/quote]

That is such a funny, but possibly true thought!!!

Canker is really just a blanket term to cover any infection to the mouth of reptiles. As someone already said, if left untreated it can spread throughout the lining tissue of the mouth and throat and kill the infected animal. It needs to be treated with antibiotics, daily treatment and scupulous husbandry practices

Hix your on i have the camera ready and the video all set up lol

i should make the first male to wear bra set gets a prize lol what should i make it a bottle of something.

LOL

am in a funny mood today guys so look out hehehehehehehehe

PK

Canker, aka necrotic stomatitis is usually a secondary problem arising from some other health issue. Usually a snake with an untreated respiratory infection will develop canker as well, even snakes with internal parisite infections seem to also develop canker very easily.
Treatment is fairly straight forward, usually antibiotic injections will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back