Cape York Carpet Hatchlings galore ;)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythons Rule

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well if you can remember all the years I had trouble with that appears to have passed with this season being a success with 30 hatchlings 2 clutches of capie babies plus a set of twins :). I did open an egg earlier on when it had died to find a set of twins in it but I was blessed with another set :) I am so thrilled and I'm in the zone ;) LOVE LOVE LOVE BABIES.

enjoy

Dam - Calypso 5.5years 50/50 Banded Wenlock River Cape York - bred by CUTTING EDGE MORELIA.
PRE LAY SLOUGH 5th Sep 2013 (7).JPG
Sire - Arkillis 12years RP Striped Wenlock River Cape York
DSCF8415.JPG

first clutch of 10 babies they are 2 weeks old now and 3 have shed and are almost ready for first feed they are so dam cute so dam big compared to the second clutch. will get better pic's when more start shedding
DSCF8927.JPGWR 1 first to shed (1).jpg2013-12-16_08-04-06_437.jpg

Second Trio
Dam - Medusa 10years Wenlock River Cape York
14 Oct 2013.JPGDSCF8564.jpg
Sire - Arkillis 12years (as above)
Sire - Kronus 6years B&W Cape York
DSCF8328.JPG
(not sure if this guy got a shot making any mini b&w's this season ;)

29 eggs laid 3 slugs - 19 eggs remain 20 emerge - day 65 today (why do I cut the eggs its because I don't like dead babies. and I wait till they are full term. I don't cut the veins or the membrane when I cut I do a small cut first then wait a few days till the liquid inside has dropped then I cut a larger hole this way I leave the veins alone. babies come out on there own time and emerge on there own they still need to cut through the thick membrane on there own, they don't absorb there yoke till after they are breathing air). there yoke is almost all absorbed so might me out tonight and tomorrow.
19 eggs 20 babies  (5).jpg19 eggs 20 babies  (6).jpg

Fantastic! Best of luck with them and keep us updated on their progress :D

Well it's about bloody time! Well done.
I too, the last couple weeks have had 2 clutches of Cape Yorks hatch.
I can send pics to compare if you like..

Dan

please do turtle :) and thank you :) no turning back now they all look really healthy my 1st clutch is huge I might be able to start them on fuzzy mice instead of pinkies :)

thank you sharky and MathersD for your comments I will update shortly with more pictures :)

more pictures are a coming ;)

pic of the 3rd bub to shed
2013-12-17_21-27-46_702.jpg

pic of the first baby from the second clutch to fully emerge. it is a little fatty with a little bit of attitude.
1st out 17 Dec 2013 (3).jpg1st out 17 Dec 2013 (2).jpg1st out 17 Dec 2013 (1).jpg

please do turtle :) and thank you :) no turning back now they all look really healthy my 1st clutch is huge I might be able to start them on fuzzy mice instead of pinkies :)

thank you sharky and MathersD for your comments I will update shortly with more pictures :)

Carpet babies should be started on fuzzy mice or pink rats. Pinkie mice would be too small for most carpet hatchies unless you get some small twins etc. they're quiet capable with fuzzie mice.

29 eggs laid 3 slugs - 19 eggs remain 20 emerge - day 65 today (why do I cut the eggs its because I don't like dead babies. and I wait till they are full term. I don't cut the veins or the membrane when I cut I do a small cut first then wait a few days till the liquid inside has dropped then I cut a larger hole this way I leave the veins alone. babies come out on there own time and emerge on there own they still need to cut through the thick membrane on there own, they don't absorb there yoke till after they are breathing air). there yoke is almost all absorbed so might me out tonight and tomorrow.
View attachment 302355View attachment 302354

Can you please explain how you manage to cut the egg shell without damaging the membrane? This sounds like a technique I should know.

Can you please explain how you manage to cut the egg shell without damaging the membrane? This sounds like a technique I should know.

If you cut really 'shallow' and 'upwards' in most instances you can avoid the membrane. If you want to cut your eggs then give it a try with a few, you might go too deep the first few times but you'll get the hang of it easily enough.

sure thing :)

I have a pair of manicure scissors with the blunt ball tips and there straight not curved, I try to pinch the highest point of the eggs and roll with my pointer and thumb this separates the membrane from the egg shell. I then make a cut on the pinched bit enough to get my scissors in then pointing the scissors upwards I carefully cut, checking for the main vein if the vein happens to be in the road you can gently move it off the shell with the ball point of the scissors that way they don't rupture and break. I make first hole a small one then wait a few days and cut the hole bigger, I like the egg to still wrap around the babies but if you wish to cut wider that's your choice, you may just want to cut a V or a U. the reason I wait and cut again is so the egg amniotic fluid has dropped and so has all veins and its easier to avoid the veins that way. I cut this way last year with 1 of my bhp eggs which happened to be way to early about a month to early and the lil baby did not emerge till day 67. I like it its less messy.

DSCF8744.JPGDSCF8766.JPGDSCF8769.JPGDSCF8767.JPG

Last edited:
Pythons Rule, thank you so much for your detailed explanation. Thanks to No-two as well. Have either of you, or anyone, ever successfully used this technique for smaller eggs, like colubrids?

I've collated your posts into a reference document - see attached - that I figured I might as well share. Hope you don't mind ...

View attachment Cutting Eggs.docx

Last edited:
that's fine with me, but no I have never bred them. if your worried you can candle the eggs first and lightly draw where the veins are, then do a small triangle where there is no vein cut there and then in a few days time the amniotic fluid with veins will have sunken so you can cut a lil bigger. still make sure you don't cut the veins at this stage as some the veins are stuck to the egg shell. if you tear the shell it will lift off of the veins allowing you to continue cutting.

- - - Updated - - -

oh thank you NicG :) I'm glad I could help, the only way you learn new things, is when you ask.

- - - Updated - - -

one of my lil twins is out now the other still has some yolk to absorb.
2013-12-18_11-35-03_736.jpg2013-12-18_11-36-40_644.jpg2013-12-18_11-36-46_273.jpg2013-12-18_11-41-02_218.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

YAY 2sets alive and 1set died before hatching. but how awesome I am stoked this is why you should never give up on your dreams.

2 sets of twins and some others (9).jpg

other set of twins are out of the eggs now :)
2 sets of twins and some others (2).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Tub of Twins - 1 set of striped and 1 set of banded
2013-12-19_15-41-35_446.jpg2013-12-19_15-42-14_705.jpg
2013-12-19_19-22-02_195.jpg

some of the other babies that have hatched
2013-12-19_15-44-05_416.jpg2013-12-19_15-44-11_499.jpg2013-12-19_15-44-40_535.jpg2013-12-19_15-44-48_890.jpg2013-12-19_19-17-06_299.jpg

some of the 2 week old babies that have shed.
2013-12-19_16-02-33_716.jpg2013-12-19_15-59-07_124.jpg2013-12-19_15-53-17_757.jpg2013-12-19_16-04-06_976.jpg

Hey pythons rule
Do you have a page on facebook which you post all of your updates on because these pictures look very similar...

Also what is the size of your adult male and female.

Thanks Elliot

Nice. I do like Cape Yorks and a few different pairs. Its an area of carpets with so much variation and mystery that I hope more work is done with them as far as indexing the various localities.

Hey pythons rule
Do you have a page on facebook which you post all of your updates on because these pictures look very similar...

Also what is the size of your adult male and female.

Thanks Elliot

lol yes its Pythons Paradise :)

good observation

and my pairs are of various sizes, males are 7ft - 8.5ft and females are 7ft - 3metres. I start breeding at 4-5years for both sexes. others might prefer earlier but I have found mine haven't been ready till a bit older.

- - - Updated - - -

here are the weighing photo's

13 Hatchie's so far in 2nd clutch 7 to go.
please take 6g off the weight for the container
RPWRCYtwin 01 & 02.jpgRPWRCY 12.jpgRPWRCY 11.jpgRPWRCY 10.jpgRPWRCY 09.jpgRPWRCY 08.jpgRPWRCY 07.jpgRPWRCY 06.jpgRPWRCY 05.jpgRPWRCYtwin 03 & 04.jpgRPWRCYtwin 03.jpgRPWRCYtwin01.jpgRPWRCY 13.jpg

7 hatchlings so far from first clutch, 3 to finish shedding. 3 have fat bellies
WRCYH 01.jpgWRCYH 02.jpgWRCYH 03.jpgWRCYH 04.jpgWRCYH 05.jpgWRCYH 06.jpgWRCYH 07.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And couple more from the big clutch that just left the eggs, 1 left to come out and another that I don't know about its yolk vein is in a knot with no yolk attached..
RPWRCY 15.jpgRPWRCY 14.jpgRPWRCY 16.jpgRPWRCY 17.jpgRPWRCY 18.jpg

and last 3 shed last night
WRCYH 08.jpgWRCYH 09.jpgWRCYH 10.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

LOOK AT THIS THING ITS REALLY REALLY COOL!
As I have never seen one of these before and it being Cape York I am thinking of calling it a super striped ocelot. I will be keeping this one for future breeding.
2013-12-21_21-33-50_909.jpg

Pythons Rule, thank you so much for your detailed explanation. Thanks to No-two as well. Have either of you, or anyone, ever successfully used this technique for smaller eggs, like colubrids?

I've collated your posts into a reference document - see attached - that I figured I might as well share. Hope you don't mind ...

View attachment 302446

I've not cut anything smaller than antaresia eggs.

some bubs from the second clutch have had there first shed in the last few days :) so pretty

RPWRCY 11.jpg
RPWRCY 12.jpg
RPWRCY 13.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1 of 4 twins (Twin 04) just shed its a cute lil thing
twin 04.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back