Cape York reptile safaris

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that has stopped a few people doing this......you need to go to Uni to get a degree to be an accredited Tour guide......

Nick, hire me! I have got 2 degrees, so double pay would be appropriate? lol:lol:

Thanks DanN,
I have just secured private access to a uniqe patch of land up there. I am heading up for a few test runs before the wet. Looks like the first tours will be up and running by late April / early May (weather permitting).
Nick

Take a video camera with you, put it on Youtube, free advertising.

Problematically, if you were granted the permits (through DERM), I believe they will hold you accountable (at least in part) for what happens on the trip, if a client grabs a lizard for a photo ...or worse...Could you run into trouble as you would need to be supervising their actions while they are on YOUR trip?

Secondly, what happens if you fall ill, you need to price the trip with at least 2 guides.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Realistically Scott, they are not valid issues. The idea of a second guide is unreasonable as the price of the tours that I will be offering to the O/S market will only attract a small number of tours. The chances of being sick during the dates of a tour are minimal and worst case scenario, I have had more than a few offers of 'extra' guides.

The idea of the tours is a look but don't touch basis If I wanted people tampering with wildlife I would not be doing it. Let’s be real anyway, regardless of whether you have the relevant permits, would you let a snake get run over on the road due to the legality of no touch?

The accreditation idea is a good point. Whilst it holds some strength, I can tell you that there are plenty of people offering tours in CYP that do not have any formal education let alone a university degree.

Insurance and QPWS permits are the main concerns.

One thing that has stopped a few people doing this......you need to go to Uni to get a degree to be an accredited Tour guide......

Nick, hire me! I have got 2 degrees, so double pay would be appropriate? lol:lol:

But do you have two degrees in Cape York Tour Guiding:lol: My better half is also a candidate, she majored in Aboriginal Studies:D

hey nick the trips to the cape sound fantastic, and i would certainly be one of the interested parties, so do keep us posted.
small groups and focus on fauna,especially herps, and flora, would suit us down to the ground.
all the bset with it, and might see you up there one day.
cheers lyn

Thats a great idea mate! a mate and i were just thinking the other day if there was any tours like that! i give it the thumbs up!

I have looked at other tours to Cape York and would love to go, but couldnt afford the $12,000 for 12 days for 2 peple.
I would deffinately be interested if it goes ahead.

Nick,

I understand there are plenty of people running tours (not just on the Cape) without permits, insurance and accreditation.

All I am saying is that there are potential issues with the above that may arise.

As for legalities....they are what they are....and I am for the common sense approach.

Cheers,
Scott

The accreditation idea is a good point. Whilst it holds some strength, I can tell you that there are plenty of people offering tours in CYP that do not have any formal education let alone a university degree.

How many times have we seen " accredited " people with absoulute no idea ?
Eg. Cops, Doctors, various types of mangers????

I would much rather go with someone like Nick, that knows the area like the back of his hand than some uni/tafe newbee with a certificate.
You cant buy experience !!!!!!!!!!

To be honest I don't think there are many people that guide tours through the Cape who are not experienced. It is not the sort of place you can 'wing it'. Furthermore, these guides are 'working' in CYP and are gaining the experience everyday. Each guide has their own flavours to offer and in Nick's case it would be the wildlife and spots he knows intimately - not to mention his cooking and whatever else he has up his sleeve.

As far as accreditation etc is concern, insurance is the only biggie I can think of. Nick isn't running Oztours, he's taking people up there as 'mates' to give a special experience. Because of the associated commercial gain he just needs the insurance to cover his ****.

Sounds great hope it all works out for ya pal!

sounds great nick :) the prob im thinking about is what is stopping people going on a tour and then going back and poaching animal they see?

sounds great nick :) the prob im thinking about is what is stopping people going on a tour and then going back and poaching animal they see?

That’s the biggest concern I have hobbo. I have secured access to both aboriginal land and private property. Both of these are relatively safe in regards to future poachers as you need to drive through the homesteads and house ect to get to the places.

General areas like Iron range and a few other places are a concern. I guess it is a tricky subject as tiny hand held GPS's and the like could go almost unnoticed.

Thanks for the positive words everyone. The amount of interest is great. Once the website and permits are in place I will start to advertise to the international market.

What sort of sleeping and eating requirements would most people expect for a 'cheaper' (approx $300 per person per day) tour?

Nick

mate id stick with camping and BBQ :) but would you supply the tents or would it be byo tents?

It all depends on what your budget is Hobbo. If you want a no frills budget tour, camping under the stars or in a tent, and a BBQ then that is fine. You will encounter a more diverse species of reptiles during a tour like this, as you will spend more time in the 'field'

For the Euro and US markets, I am aiming at 'comfortable' eco accommodation and Coral Trout, Crayfish, Prawns and Rib Fillet ect for dinner.

If needed, the accommodation can be as good as the Cape offers eg, guest houses, eco lodges and motels. However, this would affect the itinerary of some locations ect. Tours along those lines would be more suited to be a fly in fly out scenario where I would pick the client up from the airport, take them to the accommodation and do night and day trips returning back to the 'lodge' each night.

Cheers,
Nick

I don't think poaching would be much of concern if you lay down some unconditional rules. What may be a concern is people wanting to bag harps found at night in order to photograph them in daylight and when there is more time to do it properly. It has always been an issue (pers. experience).
Do you know the lady who owns the "Portland House"? She lives at Freshwater (Cairns) and her house at PR is an ideal spot for a base camp.

It sure is a top place for an upmarket base camp. Very reasonably priced too.
Cheers,
Nick

i reckon youd be able to get a lot of backpackers....and id also jump at the chance.

Hi Nick,

Do you have names of the properties? Anything special in the way of herps? PM if you prefer.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back