Carnivorous plants in Adelaide !!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekiel86

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Hey !!

Just looking for another S.A herper thats into or has a collection of carnivorous plants 2 ? :D

Looking at sharing tips on growing etc in Adelaide ..and maybe seed or cuttings swaps! :)

Cant be the only South Aussie on here with Carnivorous plants ? :shock:

Ezekiel :)

Some quick Iphone snaps of the new members of the family !:lol:
enojy!

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Hey Hey !!

Just looking for another S.A herper thats into or has a collection of carnivorous plants 2 ? :D

Looking at sharing tips on growing etc in Adelaide ..and maybe seed or cuttings swaps! :)

Cant be the only South Aussie on here with Carnivorous plants ? :shock:

Ezekiel :)

Some quick Iphone snaps of the new members of the family !:lol:
enojy!

G'day G'day only just noticed this post.

Love the carnivorous plant.. how are they all doing ? :)

Just wondering what part of Adelaide your in, I have a couple of snakes

& a very keen interest in reestablishing a collection of carnivorous plants.

jackhammer :D

Absolutely love the look of all of them and have thought on more than one occasion of getting into them and finding out more about them but unfortunately I seem to have a black thumb. I am that bad that the only things alive in my garden are the cacti and some palms that I haven't even as much as watered in the 12 years I have been in my house. There was a nice rose garden here when I bought the place but I somehow managed to kill them all

Nearly bought a Venus fly trap the other day at the markets. Where did you get yours ? don't see them at shops much or at all.

They are very nice looking plants. I particularly like the pitcher plants, the hanging one is awesome. I use to keep carno plants because they are so different. One day I'll get back into them.

PB200017.jpgPB200019.jpgPB200020.jpgPB200032.jpgPB200025.jpg
Ive got a few :D If anyones interested in growing some, PM me. I may have a few extra plants kicking around. :D

Hey ratbag. I'm located in the Adelaide hills in SA.
Thanks wombat :) the flytrap is a clone known as "red dragon" and is of Japanese origin if I remember correctly :)

I'd really love to have a crack at growing some. What sort of conditions do you need to grow them in??? do they require full sun, full shade, shadehouse?
How hard are they to maintain? are there special requirements? am I asking too many questions?

I'm in the US, but I'm a carnivorous plant nut. You're in an excellent location for them!
I probably have about thirty in my collection, but I can only find good pictures of a few of them.

Attachments

• nburkei2.jpg
    nburkei2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 77
  • frozendelight.jpg
    frozendelight.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 77
  • sscarletbelle.jpg
    sscarletbelle.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 81
  • sarraceniascarlettbelle.jpg
    sarraceniascarlettbelle.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 74
Well if you're ever down this way I'd be glad, ratbag :p
Shaggz, I grow the majority of species in a greenhouse, but many species, such as the flytraps and trumpet pitcher plants are native to the US and grow great outdoors. Most species do well in fairly bright light, sitting in trays of rain water. Rain water is important as these plants come from environments where there are very little nutrients available in the soil. That's about it really, the majority of species are very easy to maintain, but some such as the heliamphoras and cephalotus require more attention to detail when it comes to recreating their natural growing conditions :)
Fox of the rose, they're some nice looking Sarras :) I envy the amount of carnivorous plant species available to growers in the US as compared to Australia.

carniverous in adelaide?

Hey ratbag. I'm located in the Adelaide hills in SA. mm

Thanks wombat :) the flytrap is a clone known as "red dragon" and is of Japanese origin if I remember correctly :)
you still growing? Would love some tips and to see your amazing plants.
Ben.

I realise this is an older thread but hey, what magnificent plants! I like them all. The small Sarracenia in the multi-planted pot is particularly unusual and attractive and the two smaller Nepenthes are really looking good. Unusual tall Dionaea but both plants are looking super healthy, not always easy to achieve unless you know what you are doing. And so are both Cephalotus - awesome specimens and again you need the knowledge. Ezekiel, the flat Drosera looks like it may be native. Do you know if it is? The upright ones I don’t recognise at all.

Both you guys have got be congratulated on your horticultural skills, managing to keep these plants in such fine fettle.

Foxoftherose, some excellent plants as well. What plant do the flowers in the second picture below to?

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back