cat problem - need help :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash1990

Not so new Member
Reaction score
For the past 6 months a cat from somewhere around the neighbourhood has been coming under my house, peeing and pooing everywhere and annoying my pets. I tried to catch it, find out where it lived etc, had no luck, so just had to keep chasing it away when I saw it.

5 days ago it broke into my fancy mouse cage, it killed everything. Every single fancy mouse I owned.... I had manx, rex, long hairs, long haired rex and white tigers. That was 4 years of selective breeding and sourcing mice from around QLD to try and better my collection. I know most people on here just see mice as snake food... But these were my babies and they some of them were worth a bit of money.... It destroyed over $400 worth of mice in one night.... I had to spend 2 hours picking up mutilated corpses from all under my house... It was beyond heartbreaking for me. I found a guy with a cat trap and tried to catch the bloody thing again, but apparently someone has tried to catch it before because it wouldn't go near the trap and instead decided to move onto my baby guinea pigs. I went under the house to find it with its claws through the pig cage trying to snag a baby guinea pig. I yelled at it and scared the crap out of it and it took off.

I went and saw the council the next day. They basically told me nothing they could do unless I can catch the cat. I told them that I have tried trapping it before and I was trying again and it wouldn't go anywhere near the traps. They told me stiff bikkies, come back with the cat in a cage or they weren't going to do anything.

I tried every type of cat food, some guy suggested cheese, I tried that as well. Cat was more interested in trying to kill the pigs.

I came home yesterday night with my dog and the bloody thing was once again under the house, it got stuck in one of the wrecked cages and I nearly managed to grab the rotten thing, but it shredded my leg and bit me. Apparently hearing me yelling and swearing made the dog mad though and she finally attacked it. I taught her to be cat friendly when we baby sat a friends cat once, and she doesn't touch them. She couldn't catch it, but she scared at least a years worth of poop out of the dam thing. It hasn't been back tonight yet, I'm hoping she scared it enough that it wont come back for awhile.

But I'm at my wits end, what can I do about this cat!!! Council wont help, and it just keeps attacking all my pets :( I dont know where it lives, but I do know it is the same cat everytime. It has no collars on, so no rego tags or anything.

Please help

Yes, aspirin will kill it...Not as humane as a gun.. But it would really be better to trap it. Just set the trap with a nice piece of raw chicken or beef and leave it for a couple of days. Hopefully you will get lucky. Or maybe the dog has scared it off and it won't come back. :D We live in hope ay!

Every second person has diazepam these days, or valium, or cerepax etc.. :p

Aspirin will be a slow, excruciatingly painful death. Please don't take this route.

A scrubby would work, haha.

Last edited:
Every second person has diazepam these days, or valium, or cerepax etc.. :p

Aspirin will be a slow, excruciatingly painful death.

A scrubby would work, haha.

What does the aspirin actually do to make it a slow painful death?

The trap was set for ages, I put dead mice in there, every type of cat food available to man as well as cheese etc etc. It just wanted to attack the pigs.

And even if I could get a sedative into some milk, it will just fall asleep at its owners place. I doubt it would hang around my place long enough for the stuff to take effect, I talked to the vets as well, about my options, they said it probably wouldn't be effective.
A few people have said the aspirin, im trying not to be cruel atm, but my temper is fraying. Especially now that I have scratches all over me, skinned my knees to hell after I fell over trying to grab it and got a sore hand from where it bit me. As well as the fact that my dog keeps finding more little corpses to me and I'm still putting dead mice in the bin....

It just seems to unfair, I keep my animals locked up, on my property. But irresponsible cat owners just let their animals lose to go on killing sprees.... It just makes me so mad... And like snakelady-viper said, if this was a dog that got into my yard and bit me or got into my yard and killed my dogs or cats or something, all hell would break loose, the dog would be found and the owners charged asap. but because its a cat know one cares...

Somehow I don't think food is going to help you. I doubt that it's hungry. It's bored and wants something to do. Instinctively cats hunt at night and small things running around posing a chasing-challenge is like the jackpot in kitty toys. If it's grown smart enough to avoid traps, catching it also isn't going to be your answer unless you can rig up something on a much larger scale.

In the meantime I suggest a deterrent to try to keep it away. Make it as unpleasant for the cat to be there as you can.
They hate white vinegar so I'd suggest putting some into a spray bottle and spraying it everywhere. It cleans off easily and dogs don't mind it so no worries there. My other suggestion would be an electric fence setup of some sort. If I was able to come to you I'd have it humanely caught in a matter of nights but unfortunately I guess you're in Qld...so bummer! :cry:

I'm really sorry to hear about your mice. Hopefully someone will have a good idea as to how to catch it. You could probably also take a photo, do a letterbox drop with a note saying that it's going to be 'permanently removed' if it's seen on your property again (but nothing else otherwise you've made a threat that can be acted on legally) and hope something comes of it from the owner's end. Maybe a few photos of dead mice to sweeten the deal. All the best with it. ;)

What does the aspirin actually do to make it a slow painful death?

It kills the liver. Cats metabolise aspirin slower than humans which is one of the reasons why they can overdose on a smaller amount. Death is the eventual result but not before hours and hours of vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and other terrifyingly painful things.

Just like a panadol or aspirin overdose in humans is slow and painful...

ok enough, its disgusting people in here complain about the inhumane ways some choice to kill snakes yet think its ok to suggest slow inhumane ways to kill a cat or to even suggest long slow and painful deaths, by the way i would NEVER tolerate any acts of cruelty to ANY animal or reptile

now i really do feel sorry that this bad cat has and is still trying to kill your pets but after all this time one would think you would be doing something to protect them instead of letting this cat have easy access to them, if they are under the house then they are not protected? what about putting them in a shed or garage? spare bedroom? anywhere this cat can not have access

PLEASE do not try to kill this cat by any method listed above, just think how you would feel if someone was doing that to YOUR mice and G.P's.

remember its not the cats fault he or she has an irresponsible owner and he or she is ONLY doing what nature intend it to do and it doesnt see you animals as pets but as food

i honestly have NO idea you can outsmart a cunning cat perhaps you could try some cheese? do you have a local pet shop that sells roo meat if so perhaps you could get some of it or a local nursery that sells catnip that might give u some? but please i know your angry and upset and have every right to be but DONT do to this cat what you wouldnt like someone doing to your animals

and again i am sorry to hear of those wonderful pets you have lost and i really hope it doesnt happen anymore, the first priority is to make sure this cat cant get to them again before trying to catch it

i read the thread thoroughly cats also like cheese, as yes im aware, so do mice as a rule and while the cat might ignore traditional cat food the smell of cheese might 'trick' it into entering the trap

perhaps you should be more offended by those suggesting long slow and painful deaths then to highlight that ONE comment

1. When you set the trap to catch cat, cover the trap floor in dirt, so cat feels it is walking on ground rather than mesh.Then make sure the trap door closesand locks properly.
2. Use 'roast' chicken for bait, not many cats can refuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back