CAT5 in W.A ??? .. olives !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

also76

Reaction score
hey guys,

Im in W.A and would love to eventually own an olive python but i know that they are currently CAT5. does anyone know the reason they are in a catagory with elapids ? and has anyone got a CAT5 license or olive python ??? and if so how hard was it to obtain, i understand the enclosures need to be inspected ETC.

any info would be helpful. thanks guys.

-Dan

A large python can kill someone faster than most Elapids in an unlikely circumstance. Even though pythons are slow and lack venom they are stronger than any person when they reach large sizes. Without blood flow to your brain you pass out pretty quick, if flow doest return you will die or have brain damage, which i would imagine may be the concern.

That said i would like to see some L.o.barroni legally avaiable in the future.

IMO this is a responsible act for DEC. Legal reptile keeping in WA is very young and thus a big learning curve for DEC with regard to record keeping etc. You must remember that DEC is a tiny organisation that governs a huge part of the country. Compared to other states, they are greatly understaffed for the regions they cover. I think that reptile keepers also need to "prove" themselves responsible. Both for their own well being and the animals. Given time, some of the current requirements for WA reptile keepers may become easier, providing the system is working and ppl are being responsible. DEC's main responsibility is to the wildlife and environment and this is a huge balancing act when human's are involved. Contact them for more information about CAT5 regulations. There is a phone number and email addy on their website.

To get Cat5 in WA you have to have Cat4 and a Cat4 reptile for at least 1 year and if wanting vens you need to do a venomous snake course to show DEC you are ready for Cat5 and to get written approval from their local shire, though if you only want to keep non-venomous category 5 species (Olive, sand monitor and heath monitor) then you do not need shire approval.
Then they will come over to your place for a inspection ($$) to see if you have the right requirments.

Upgrade of Pet Herpetofauna Keeper’s Licence to Category 5.

The Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC) policy on the upgrading of pet herpetofauna Keeping licenses is as follows:-

(a) Licensees must have kept category 4 pet herpetofauna for at least 12 months and

(b) Licensees must have demonstrated full compliance of all licence conditions following the issue of the category 4 licence.

The former pre-requisite of owning category 4 herpetofauna for at least 12 months is to enable keeper’s to gain experience in reptile and amphibian keeping before progressing to the more difficult to look after category 5 animals.

The latter pre-requisite of licence condition compliance is to ensure that licensees become familiar with Departmental requirements allowing them to keep reptiles and amphibians. Amongst these requirements is the need for licensees to complete quarterly return forms accurately and correctly, and also to ensure they are forwarded to this Department on time. Barring the very first quarterly return (which may have been received late &/or incorrectly filled out), Departmental policy will be that licensees must have submitted correctly completed returns on time for at least 3 successive quarterly periods.

Any person wishing to keep venomous category 5 herpetofauna must also obtain prior written approval from their local shire. Where applicants wish to keep non-venomous category 5 species then no specific shire approval is required, however, all licensee’s must comply with relevant local government by-laws.

A DEC Wildlife Officer will need to interview applicants in order to assess their suitability to keep category 5 pet herpetofauna. A Wildlife Officer will also complete an inspection of the applicant’s holding facilities. Interviews and inspections are conducted following shire approval (if relevant).

ApplicantR17;s intending to keep venomous category 5 herpetofauna will also need to provide details of their experience and ability to handle such animals.

Last edited:
WOW. thanks alot niall and shered, thats the exact info i was after. i probally should have checked the site, was just after info from actual people with experiance in this. you both were alot of help.

niall what do ya mean ($$) to have the inspection ? how much we talkin here. haha. it will be a while befor ill be able to obtain this license but im definatly going for it.

not to sure about keeping venomous tho ! do you keep any ?

thanks again - Dan

Hey Mate,

I got the Info from Adrian from DEC when i was thinking of getting CAT5,

The ($$) is ment to say inspections are not free of charge i think its $50??
Fingers crossed we get our CAT5 just after winter.
I dont keep vens at the moment though i am planning to, but the Olive is first on the list.

nice one niall sounds great. has it taken long for the cat5 to be processed ?
really cant wait for an olive :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back